Corsair Community

XMS 3200C2 512MB = no longer boots

nathancrews

I have two sticks CMX512-3200C2 that have been running great for years. 2 months ago random Windows crashes started and now the machine won't even boot. No CPU or memory OC, bios set to use SPD.

Tried this in an Ausus A7N8X (nForce2) and BioStar iDEQ 200N (nVidia nForce2 with crush IGP) with an AthlonXP 2700+. FSB at 166, memory at SPD. Neither system will boot past the summary page, even using a single stick in alternating banks.

Replacing the memory with two sticks of 512 MB OCZ PC4000 and the systems run great.

I think the RAM has developed problems...

Nathan Crews

• Corsair Employees

Can you tell me the bios settings you had set for both CPU and memory? If you had the memory frequency at BY SPD that may be why you are having a problem. Please try these settings after you load setup defaults and see if the system will pass http://www.memtest.org.

System Performance: User Define

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz

Memory timings: Manual

Would results in these settings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Graphics Aperture Size is 128 MB

With one or both memory modules I can't boot the machine to run memtest. I set the bios to the suggest memory settings using other memory, then tried to boot and test.

If I replace both modules with other RAM (OCZ PC4000) the system boots and runs fine.

I tried and Intel 865G system and it will boot if memory is set to 266MHz, but not at 400MHz. These are PC3200 C2 modules, but even at CAS3 they won't boot on the Intel system either.

What to do next?

Nathan

Archived