Corsair Community

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe + Corsair 5400UL Problem

Greg123

I purchased (about a year ago) 2x 512MB sticks of PC5400 (UL) memory from Overclockers UK for my computer. I was previously using a P5GDC Deluxe motherboard and encountered no issues with that particular configuration.

However after switching to my new P5W DH Deluxe motherboard I have encountered an issue with the memory.

When I select the overclocked options that the memory is due to operate at, 3-2-2-8 @ 675MHz, this is the old version that was rated to operate at those settings at 2.1v. The memory is however unable to operate at those settings (667MHz as the dividers can not do 675MHz on this board), causing windows to fail to load and the system to hang.

I have tried 667MHz at SPD timings and it works perfectly. The system is also unable to operate at 667MHz 3-3-3-8 timings at 2.1v.

Any help to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

The_Manual - Overlock.net Senior Staff Team

• Corsair Employees
The memory Voltage should be 2.2 Volts and I would make sure that you have the latest bios and test them on another MB to be sure. In addition the memory Frequency should be set to 667 MHz and the CPU should be over clocked to get the tested settings.

• 4 weeks later...

Reporting back on my findings.

The memory, no matter what frequency it's operating at, will never be able to obtain the stated memory timings that it is rated to operate at, at least as far as I have been able to test.

I do not believe this to be the memory's fault. I believe this to be an error with the divider sub-system on the ASUS P5WDH Deluxe.

1:1 ratio is not stable at any frequency at its rated timings (up to a tested 712MHz).

*Stable at SPD timings for the specified frequency however.

For this memory to remain stable at 667MHz timings of 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v had to be used, anything less and the system failed Memtest86/Prime (Large FFT's+).

The only way for stability to remain is to use a 4:3 divider I believe, to run the memory slower than the rated CPU speed. Using this divider the memory was able to operate at its rated timings at several speeds.

I believed first this could be an issue with the voltage that the board was giving to the memory, i.e. not giving it the stated amount in the BIOS. However after a slight modding of the voltage regulation system and using a volt meter system to determine voltage I have concluded that this is indeed not the case.

This memory has been tested in other computers to determine if it's an error relating to the chips, however in my old P5GDC Deluxe they operate perfectly at rated timings.

Settings Relating To Memory:

*DRAM Throttling - Disabled

*Hyperpath 3 - Disabled

Any other suggestions from the memory point of view?

Sincerely,

The_Manual - overclock.net (Intel Section Director).

• Corsair Employees

It would be best if you can call our Tech support or contact your contact in or marketing department. And we can help you with this 800-205-7657!

But with this MB or platform if you use more than one set of modules the tested settings may not be attainable, I would suggest that you test the modules one set at a time and the tested settings are Cas 3-4-3-9 with these modules.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear RAMGUY,

Thank you for your previous response. As I have stated this is not an issue with the product your company is selling. It is a problem with the motherboard, and can not be fixed from your side.

I wish to get these modules operating at 800MHz (1:1). I currently have them running at 712MHz @ 5-4-4-13. 2.2v has been applied to ensure stability.

If I was to add a fan above these modules, what voltage do you believe they would be capable of running at 24/7 for a minimum of 2-3 years?

I am a computer processor architect, but memory is not a subject I have taken much interest in.

The settings I wish to end up with are 800MHz @ 4-4-4-12 timings.

Thank you for your time :)

Thank you for your response.

I would like to inquire as to what voltage you believe these memory modules will withstand with their default heat spreader/heatsink and an additional 55CFM fan acting as a cooling system.

Consider these modules void of warranty at this current moment in time due to overclocking (even though they have not exceeded 2.2v at present).

2.4v is the maximum voltage that can be applied to these modules due to the board limitation. Will these modules withstand this additional voltage?

Regards,

Greg

Apparently the problem is most active when the system runs within a CPU : DRAM ratio of 1:1 (direct conjunction).

I would like some information please, again, consider these modules void of warranty at this current moment in time due to overclocking (even though they have not exceeded 2.2v at present).

What is the maximum amount of voltage that these modules are capable of withstanding (single pair) with their heatsink and an additional 45.2CFM fan close by to help with the cooling?

Do you find it likely that at 2.4v (if capable) the memory could operate at

800MHz @ 4-4-4-12

900MHz @ 5-5-5-15

1066MHz @ 6-6-6-18 or 7-7-7-19 (with the current memory issue)

Will DRAM Throttling cause memory issues? (Set to auto currently)

Regards,

Greg.

• Corsair Employees

Greg all I can tell you would be the tested settings for any given part# if you want to go beyond the tested settings you would just need to test them your self as it will varry with the make and model of MB, CPU and PSU!

Max supported Dim Voltage for these modules would be 2.2 Volts.

Archived