Corsair Community

Upgrade Question, win 32 max mem

cembandit

I've read that windows xp can only "see" 3 gigs of ram without removeing the pagefile, and that setting the pagefile to 0 can cause instability.

My mobo is MB EVGA NF4 SLI EDI|133-K8-NF41

Memory Capabilitues are

4 x 184-pin DIMM sockets

Dual Channel DDR

Maximum of 4GB of DDR266/DDR333/DDR400 SDRAM

CPU is AMD 64 |4000+ ATHLON 64 939P

I currently have CORSAIR 2G(2X1G TWINX2048-3200C2PRO) installed

I dont know much about dual chan, etc.

What are my best upgrade options, should I put a pair of 512's in the other 2 slots?

Thanks for the replys. So 2 gigs is faster then 3 or 4, wierd hehe.

The reason for more ram is because I seem to use every bit of it with 3d apps running with all settings and whatnot...

I read up on dual channel for my mb, and it says "Duel channel only operates when 2 DIMM Modules are plugged into either DIMM 1 and 3, or DIMM 2 and 4, or four DIMM modules are plugged into DIMM 1 to 4. All this time I have have been useing DIMM 1 & 2. Opps! Ill try out duel chan soon :)

Thanks for the replys. So 2 gigs is faster then 3 or 4, wierd hehe.

Also, in order to achieve more than 2GB, you will have to use more than 2 sticks of memory, which will cause greater loading on the CPU's memory controller. With your CPU, if you use more than 2 sticks of memory, you will have to use a command rate of 2T instead of 1T in order to run stably -- and (depending on your CPU stepping) you may have to drop your memory speed to 166MHz (PC2700/DDR333) instead of 200MHz (PC3200/DDR400) in order to run reliably.

Archived