Corsair Community

MSI K8N Neo2-F and VS512MB400 RAM Modules

reflux

Hello,

My system was perfectly stable running 2x512 Corsair Value Select Modules (VS512MB400), in a dual channel configuration at 400MHz. Recently, I decided to add another set 2x512 of Corsair Value Select, to give myself a total of 2GB of RAM, using all 4 slots on my motherboard. While I am aware that this is generally not the fastest or most reliable method, I was confident that since my memory modules were all of the same make and model, that I shouldn't have a problem.

However, about 5 minutes into playing FEAR specifically (which is why I bought these modules in the first place), my system will blue screen and reboot. I decided to try and run Memtest86+ to determine the cause of the error. After a period of exhaustive tests, testing all possible memory combinations, and each set individually, I determined that there were two errors present with my original set of RAM, and that the new modules were indeed without error.

Interestingly enough, prior to installing the new modules, my system was totally stable despite these errors. Another interesting point of note, is that while being of the same make and model, I believe that my original Value Select modules must be of a different revision, as they are shorter and double sided, as opposed to the new ones I just purchased. Perhaps combining these revisions is what causes the instability? Or could it possibly be due to the fact that there are errors present on my old RAM, and they just happen to be a nonfactor until combined with the new modules? I would like to be able to run 2 GB of RAM, but scrapping my original 512x2 for 1GBx2 isn't an option I can use right now given that it would double the cost of the upgrade.

I decided that this would be better placed in the forums, as opposed to directed at tech support, because their form immediately advised me to replace the modules with errors. However, this may not solve the problem at all, if it is just a compatibility issue, correct? Unless, the ones with errors are somehow replaced with the same new revision as the ones I just purchased. Even if I can't get the 2 sets of RAM to work in tandem, is it still worthwhile to replace my original set of RAM for these 2 errors that I detected, or since its stable, just leave well enough alone?

Any advice on the best course of action at this point would be most appreciated. Thanks for your help.

System Information:

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2-F (MS-7025)

CPU: Athlon 64 4000+

RAM: 2x512MB (Hopefully 4x512) Value Select Modules at 400MHz (Default Timings)

Video Card: nVidia GeForce 6800GT (AGP)

PSU: Antec NeoHE 500

Amazing, it seems that increasing the voltage to 2.8, and resetting to the defaults in the BIOS has fixed the crashing problem. I was able to test the machine thoroughly today, without a single crash. I had no idea that the voltage and BIOS settings, or a combination of the two could be the possibly cause of my system instability.

However, there is another issue that has not gone away. It seems now that even though my system is perfectly stable, my original 512x2 memory modules are still reporting two errors in Memtest86+ (tests 3 and 8 specifically). I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic as well, but that didn't pick up any errors with the RAM until the 3rd pass.

I'm sort of torn here, my system is working just fine, and honestly, if I hadn't had some instability with my system when I upgraded, I would have never known about those errors on my original memory modules. On the other hand, I've read that any memory errors should be corrected, because they can cause failures and other problems down the road.

Do you recommend just leaving well enough alone, since I've got my 2GB running now, and with Corsair's excellent warranty, I could replace these at a later date if there is a problem? Or should I just be proactive and get it fixed right now, and avoid issues in the future? I guess basically what I'm asking is, how big of a deal is it to have two errors show up in Memtest86+, but never experience any practical problems from them?

Thanks for all your advice, it is most appreciated. It feels great to have finally made some progress towards getting these memory modules to work together. Thanks again!

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived