Corsair Community

Need to buy more memory and don't know how

Nitrom

I have an ASUS K8N Motherboard and I installed two sticks of Corsair Value Select Memory 256 MB Each (DDR 400 PC 3200). Installed on Dimm 1 and DImm 3 (Motherboard has only 3 DIMMS for 3 sticks and DIMM 2 is empty).

Want to upgrade to 1 gig. Only have DIMM 2 for one more stick.

Question is: Can I install a single Stick of Value Select 512 MB DDR 400 PC 3200 on DIMM 2 ?...Or need to take all memory sticks out and start with different configuration.

Thanks for your reply.

Question is: Can I install a single Stick of Value Select 512 MB DDR 400 PC 3200 on DIMM 2 ?...Or need to take all memory sticks out and start with different configuration.

With your system you should replace all of your current memory sticks and replace them with a single 1GB stick if you're going to go with 1GB of memory. That's because your Socket 754 CPU has the memory controller integrated on the CPU die -- and those on-die memory controllers are especially allergic to mixed IC chips. Second, I'd recommend a single 1GB stick over a pair of 512MB sticks because the Socket 754 memory controller is single-channel only (no dual-channel support).

If you ignore my suggestion, and decide to mix a 512MB stick with your two existing 256MB sticks anyway, your system will be required to drop the memory speed to only 100MHz (PC1600/DDR200) in order to run as stably as possible. (Remember that some of the 512MB Value Select sticks are single-sided, while most 256MB sticks these days are single-sided -- this results in mixed IC densities because they require different IC chips.) The mixed IC's and mixed IC densities will likely not run reliably even at PC2700/DDR333 speed -- and even at PC1600/DDR200, there is a good chance that your system might not even POST at all. And even if you can find an older double-sided 512MB Value Select stick, your system will still be required to lower the memory speed to 166MHz (PC2700/DDR333) with three DIMM slots filled with mixed single/double-sided sticks (even if all of them use exactly the same IC chips and SPD programming) due to the limitations of your CPU's memory controller.

More than just an answer I find your reply educational. Thanks.

In which DIMM should a 1 GIG stick be in my motherboard?...1....2...or...3 ?

One more question please?...Will my System run better if I use the XMS Corsair series?...I am referring to the DDR 400 PC 3200 XMS series that run from 116 dollares to 146 dollars at New Egg and do not understand the reason why different prices for the same Part Number.

I do play games in the Internet but I am not into video games really....I only play a six years old game(Alien Vs Predator 2)...

Is there another series that will do better for my case?

Thanks very much for your time.

• Corsair Employees
If you add a module to what you have not that is not matched the system may not post or at the least it will run verry slow like DDR200 with that MB, I would suggest replacing the module you have now with VS2GBKit400C3 for best performance.

Archived