Corsair Community

MemTest86+ Errors galore when 4GB memory installed

pokey_antic

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, and two sets of 2 GByte DDR2 Twin2x memory. Each module is labled: CM2X1024-5400C4.

I have tested each set with MemTest86+ for 24 hours. One set came through 100%. The other detected three errors in that time. Question #1: Should I be concerned about those errors? Are 3 errors in 24 hour cycle of MemTest a valid reason to return the memory?

When all four modules are installed MemTest86+ seems to run much more slowly. More importantly though, if I let it run overnight then there is a whole screen of red errors when I return. In addition, with 4 GB memory installed, the computer reboots right after GRUB starts loading linux (Fedora Core 5 x86_64). Question #2: Why won't the system work with 4GB memory installed? The motherboard should support 8GB, maybe even 16.

The motherboard manual does say this: "This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 2048Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules" Question #3: Do these modules fall into either of those categories?

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, and two sets of 2 GByte DDR2 Twin2x memory. Each module is labled: CM2X1024-5400C4.

I have tested each set with MemTest86+ for 24 hours. One set came through 100%. The other detected three errors in that time. Question #1: Should I be concerned about those errors? Are 3 errors in 24 hour cycle of MemTest a valid reason to return the memory?

When all four modules are installed MemTest86+ seems to run much more slowly. More importantly though, if I let it run overnight then there is a whole screen of red errors when I return. In addition, with 4 GB memory installed, the computer reboots right after GRUB starts loading linux (Fedora Core 5 x86_64). Question #2: Why won't the system work with 4GB memory installed? The motherboard should support 8GB, maybe even 16.

The motherboard manual does say this: "This motherboard does not support memory modules made up of 2048Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules" Question #3: Do these modules fall into either of those categories?

I can answer your first question. Yes, you should return the defective set if another same set works fine with your current configuration. When you have 4GB installed, obviously you're mixing the first set with the second set which is defective. So getting error is normal. Are you overclocking? Please give the detailed spec of your system.

I thought I'd make a stable box before pushing the envelope. My other system details are available via the 'PC specs' dropdown.. I'm not sure what else is relevant aside from the motherboard & memory... The CPU is a Core 2 Duo 6400.

Every manufactuerer produces bad sticks occassionally. Have you test the defective set on another system?

Nope - the most frusterating thing about this upgrade is that I have no other systems available for testinng. I have more than a handful of computers in service around the house, and enough spare parts to piece together a few more.... But I've got only one DDR 2 motherboard. I'd like to do another run of MemTest86+ with the faulty modules, but right now I'm burining in the rest of my components.

The question I care the most about is #2.

I think I found the answer to #3 in the IC Inquiry Thread. The answer there is that the modules should be compatable. (AFAICT).

Nope - the most frusterating thing about this upgrade is that I have no other systems available for testinng. I have more than a handful of computers in service around the house, and enough spare parts to piece together a few more.... But I've got only one DDR 2 motherboard. I'd like to do another run of MemTest86+ with the faulty modules, but right now I'm burining in the rest of my components.

The question I care the most about is #2.

I think I found the answer to #3 in the IC Inquiry Thread. The answer there is that the modules should be compatable. (AFAICT).

what do you mean it won't work with 4GB installed? you mean the system won't post? or the system won't detect 4GB? Most operating systems including Windows XP will only use 4GB if it's 64-bit edition. 32-bit won't allow you to utilize all 4GB.

What I mean by 'it doesn't work' is:

1. LOTS of errors when running MemTest86+ with all four installed - but not when testing seperatly (save the 3 lonely errors mentioned before)
  2. Computer reboots as soon as the bootloader hands over control to the linux kernel. Kernel is 64 bit, and can deal with more than four gigs memory. Remove two modules and the OS boots fine.

The system does POST - otherwise I couldn't have run MemTest86+ as mentioned in my first post.

What I mean by slow: With 4GB memory installed, MemTest86+ is only 20% complete with the first pass after 13.5 hours.

What I mean by errors galore: Test#8 fails almost completly: Errors so far = 2,850,816.. and counting.

Previously I wrote that the system reboots after the bootloader passes control to the Kernel. That is not always true. Sometimes I get a kernel panic.

I flashed BIOS 0305, but I get the same results. Test 8 generated millions of errors when 4 gigs are installed, and the memory test is still slow.

Turning ON the memory remap feature in the bios does not work for me. With that ON, MemTest stops working just a split second after it starts, in the walking ones, zeros test. Esc does not reboot, the menu does not pop up, etc. Note that I got this same result before I flashed the BIOS too (after enabling memory remap).

Lastly, I have re-run overnight memtest on the two modules I suspect as problems, and came up with three errors so far:

Tst Pass Failing Address Good Bad Err-Bits Count

3 10 00017579e44 - 373.5MB fbfbfbfb f9fbfb 02000000 3

AMI BIOS: v02.58 - ASUS Version: 0305

Advanced > JumperFree Configuration > AI Overclocking     [Auto]
Advanced > CPU Configuration > Max CPUID Value Limit            [Disabled]
Advanced > CPU Configuration > Execute Disable Function         [Disabled]
Advanced > CPU Configuration > Enhanced C1 Control              [Disabled]
Advanced > CPU Configuration > CPU Internal Thermal Control     [Disabled]
Advanced > CPU Configuration > Intel SpeedStep Tech.            [Disabled]
Advanced > Chipset > Memory Remap Feature                       [Disabled]

I changed the BIOS settings as instructed:

Legacy USB Disabled (It turns out my keyboard is a legacy USB device..)

Memory @2.1v, but no other changes. Left all other options at default setting.

MemTest86+:

Test #8 still fails catastrophically...

But it appears to run faster. (Although I didn't really compare very closely)

What now?

I suspect there may be two problems:

1. Possibly one or two bad modules in pair - see the reports of the three errors I've been able to reproduce.
  2. Issue with the Motherboard BIOS / Memory / Misc Hardware combination - causing the slow memtest and possibly the test #8 result... It seems like it is testing a range of memory that isn't there causing millions of consecutive failures...

:confused:

I tested the suspected bad pair alone. I left the BIOS settings changed as per the instructions. I also selected only test #3, as that was the test to turn up errors previously when testing only the one pair.

Results:

Tst  Pass    Failing Address         Good       Bad     Err-Bits  Count Chan
---  ----  -----------------------  --------  --------  --------  ----- ----
 3     3  00016c1763c -   364.4MB  04040404  06040404  02000000     23
 3    20  00022cb67fc -   556.3MB  01010101  01010105  00000004      1
 3    22  00068a9a1bc -  1674.6MB  7f7f7f7f  7d7f7f7f  02000000      6

Archived