Corsair Community

making voyager more secure?

Kit

Hi - hope some of you can give some views on this. I've never used Corsair's secure partition because I favour encrypting not just hiding files. Instead, I'm currently keeping some files on my 1GB voyager encrypted using PGP (http://www.pgp.com) as self decrypting archives which means I don't need to load any software on any other computer to decrypt them. This is a bit cumbersome, doesn't allow new files to be encrypted on any compter without PGP, and ideally I'd like some sort of drag and drop option, though without needing to install special software on whatever PC/notebook I use. I've seen a thread here about TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org) which suggests to me it might not be much/any better than PGP, though like PGP is free. I've also found SecurFlash (http://www.encryptx.com/small_business_products_securflash.php), which looks like it might be another alternative. Unlike TrueCrypt or PGP, SecurFlash is not free, although it appears to be an encryption program specifically for flash drives. I wonder if any of you helpful folk have tried/compared any of these 3 alternatives, or if you're aware of any better options?

One thing that troubles me anyway is if any computer to which I connect my Voyager has a keylogger and/or way of caching decrypted files - I'm not sure how even encrypted files on a Voyager might remain secure here.

Basically I love my Voyager - and am looking to buy a larger capacity one soon. But whilst its durability seem tops, I'm wondering if newer U3 style flashes might have better data security?

Welcome your views. Thanks.

Please be aware of the security problems with the PGP self-decrypting archives. Unlike TrueCrypt, which decrypts into memory and clear text data never touches your drive, the PGP self-decrypting archives simply decrypts to the drive. You then have to erase the files after each use. Then too, you cannot ever be sure they were all truly erased because of the wear-levelling used with Flash Drives. The only secure way to erase files is to delete and then wipe all free space. The PGP self-decrypting archives, while simple, carry this rather large security limitation you should be aware of.

Thanks spacex. Sounds like TrueCrypt may have the edge over PGP. I use Eraser to overwrite derypted files on a hard drive but good point about the way this works (or not) on flash as I won't always be able to bank on having Eraser installed.

Do you (or anyone) know how well SecurFlash might compare? It isn't very dear, though if free or open source software is as good may as well go for the free stuff.

This is quite important to me as I store sensitive research data on my flash drive and lots of people may be unhappy if I lost it and someone else got hold of it. Plus my supervisors wouldn't be too happy. I figure if it's full of encrypted stuff any thief/finder will decide to just overwrite it rather than fuss with it - but a secure partition containing unencrypted data has more of an incentive to crack - so as to make use of the free space.

Anyway, so far sounds like I'd best switch to TrueCrypt for my Voyager. Anyone know if this would be better than SecurFlash on the Voyager, or buying a newer U3 supporting drive (which I don't know much about, only that they are advertised as keeping your stuff private and leaving no traces on computers you plug the flash into). I've just about outgrown my trusty 1Gb Voyager, though will still use it for smaller data transfers etc

Thanks again.

Archived