Corsair Community

Bad CMX module

element533

Hi RamGuy

I have a recently failed CMX1024-3200PT module that gives a constant stream of failures in memtest86. I'd like to return it for a replacement.

The module in question is one half of a matched TwinX pair, which has been functioning along with a second TwinX pair (4 modules total = 4GB) in a running system for many months. The system suddenly started having memory failures. We tested all modules in memtest86 and this is the only one that has failures.

Is it completely necessary to return a matched pair? The reason I ask is that I think I've mixed up the two pairs, so I no longer know which of the other three modules is matched to the bad one. We aren't concerned about overclocking performance guarantees. We would just like to replace this single module and have it run at default SPD settings. Is that an option?

Also, do you have any thoughts about why the memory would suddenly fail? We are not overclocking, we have the server on a UPS, and this is the only module that failed out of 4. The motherboard is an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe with the latest BIOS and default settings (no overclocking, PAT disabled, default FSB, default timings, default voltages). Every error reported by memtest86 indicates that the first two bits (c0000000) are stuck at 0.

I am wondering if temperature could be an issue? Or is the c0000000 error pattern indicative of some other trauma to the system? We would like to prevent a future repeat of this incident.

Thanks,

Steven

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them all replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived