Corsair Community

Flash Voyager 1 Gb Problems

Mikosiko

Hi there,

We recently bought 12 units of the Flash Voyager 1GB mem stick and we are having big troubles with this units... this is the scenario:

- We need to download around 500 - 600 MB to each mem stick.

- Previously we had Kinsgton 512 mem stick and the process to download 500 MB on those take just around 4 minutes.

- In the FV 1GB the same files (500 MB) take 32 minutes.

- We are using the same computer for test both mem sticks.

- The computer is a WXP SP2 1 GB RAM, 2.8 Mhz with USB 2.0

- We did the same test in another computer (same brand/configuration) and the result was the same for each F.V unit and Kinsgton units

Something is wrong... really wrong with the F.V units... or are we doing something wrong?.... we need help on this urgently.

Thanks

MT

• Corsair Employees

Please try and format the drive from a Dos prompt with this command:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X= the drive letter assigned to the drive)

Then test them again and see if the performance is the same. If it is please tell me the number of files you are coping and the average file size.

Sorry.. I didn't include that information in my first post (the format part)....

Formating the mem stick in Fat32 was done also... same results (just a little better).

We are trying to save around 350 files (pdf's, jpg's, txt's, exe) medium size 600 kb to 1.5 MB

MT

Hello

I seem to have the same problem with two of them (FV key 1G) buy at ldlc.com (FR)

No problem with other keys, only with FV

look at the values (writing = écriture) with Sysoft Sandra :

512B Tests des Fichiers

Performance de Lecture : 14627 opération(s)/min (975 ko/sec, 6x)

Performance d'Ecriture : 219 opération(s)/min (15 ko/sec, 0x)

Performance de Suppression : 326 opération(s)/min

Fragments de Fichier : 1.0

Indice Combiné : 583 opération(s)/min

32kB Tests des Fichiers

Performance de Lecture : 9197 opération(s)/min (4905 ko/sec, 32x)

Performance d'Ecriture : 215 opération(s)/min (115 ko/sec, 0x)

Performance de Suppression : 322 opération(s)/min

Indice Combiné : 564 opération(s)/min

256kB Tests des Fichiers

Performance de Lecture : 2956 opération(s)/min (12612 ko/sec, 84x)

Performance d'Ecriture : 194 opération(s)/min (828 ko/sec, 5x)

Performance de Suppression : 312 opération(s)/min

Indice Combiné : 484 opération(s)/min

2MB Tests des Fichiers

Performance de Lecture : 518 opération(s)/min (17681 ko/sec, 117x)

Performance d'Ecriture : 27 opération(s)/min (922 ko/sec, 6x)

Performance de Suppression : 256 opération(s)/min

Indice Combiné : 79 opération(s)/min

64MB Tests des Fichiers

Performance de Lecture : 17 opération(s)/min (18569 ko/sec, 123x)

Performance d'Ecriture : 3 opération(s)/min (3277 ko/sec, 21x)

Performance de Suppression : 35 opération(s)/min

Indice Combiné : 8 opération(s)/min

I don't know what to do, but I can't use it

Thanks (and sorry for my poor English)

• Corsair Employees
The results you show are about normal for that program, and with flash drives if you copy a lot of small files the performance will be slower than if you copy a few large files because of the way the block size is set with the memory chips that are used. In addition, most of the drives on the market now use larger block size so the results will be about the same in this type of test. I would suggest using the flash test in Hard Drive Bench to test the flash drive performance.

thanks !

I understand that time is longer with small files, but about 25 minutes to copy a 200 MB directory seems too slow for me. With the same directory, my 256 MB generic Flash disk (buy in 2004) take about 2 minutes !

with Sysoft Sandra, my FV 1GB is slower than USB 1 keys !

I bought this key because reviews says "fastest with small files"...!

regards,

gaston

with HD Tune, read speed is ok (15 MB/s) but access time is about 30 ms :

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4228/hdtunebenchmarkcorsairflashvoyagerth3.png

with my generic flash disk, read speed is average (7 MB/S) but access time is better (0.6 ms) :

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/4295/hdtunebenchmarkgenericusbflashdiskhn9.png

what do you think about it ?

I have two of the Flash Voyager 1GB sticks, both purchased from the same vendor, but at different times. The first one I bought has been working great since day one and I use it to store all my portable apps. Because of its performance (and the rubberized coating; nice touch), I bought a second one for the wife.

Her's ran ok for a while but suddenly started appearing in the Hardware List of every computer it was plugged in to (both Win2K and WinXP) as either complete jibberish ('jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj') or as a 'Prolific USB-Flash-Disk'. If I insert and unplug it several times (using the "Unplug or Eject Hardware" utility) it will occassionally appear as a Corsair. Regardless of what it is being reported as, none of the files are accessible now and the drive is often reported as not formatted.

Have you encountered this problem before? Is it a simple matter of corrupted data or is the controller chip acting up?

• Corsair Employees

Please try and format your Flash Voyager with Corsair EZ-Recover Utility. Please note; this will not recover Data; it’s made to recover the FAT table for the Flash drive.

If you still have problems, lets get it replaced. Please use the RMA request found in TSXpress or follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Hi !

sorry for coming into your topic without invitation... I have only one question...

Access Time of my Flash voyager is 30ms. Is that normal or I should ask for another one? As far as I could understand you said that it is not ok:roll: (when I say you I mean RAM GUY) :o:

aplication is HD Tune v2.52

configuration... A64 3200+, MSI K8N SLI Platinum, 1GB RAM, GF6600GT....

I am sure that it is not because of my hardware, because the other stick I have for a few years now is working perfectly ok.

Here are SS for comparison:

Corsair:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2640/screenshot004yx1.png

Kingmax:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4610/screenshot005jo0.png

• 3 months later...

Archived