Corsair Community

Strange Problem... in need of RMA?

valtr0n

This morning I awoke to find Windows giving an error message about not being able to load some .dll's, and I needed to reinstall XP. When I started to do this, Setup would always get so far as 27% and hang up, saying the file on the disc could not be read. I tested multiple discs and they all hung at the same spot. Suspecting a hard disk drive error, I swapped hard disks. Same problem. So at this point, I've swapped hard disks and installation discs. Same problem. This is when I begin to suspect the RAM. I remove one of my RAM sticks. I switch the sticks out, and it works. I take both my 1GB sticks out and put two old 256mb Corsair sticks in, and it works.

It begins to look more and more like the memory.

So, I run Memtest86 on each stick individually. All the sticks come out fine except one of the 1GB sticks... which gives me tens of thousands of errors in a span of seconds.

I tried this stick in multiple slots to verify that it isn't one of the slots causing an error.

What now?

The part number of the bad module is CMX1024-3200C2PT (XMS3202v2.2). The number 0605218-3 also appears.

If I RMA this and get a replacement, will it work in Dual Channel with the other module that originally came with it? Will I need to send in both modules?

I was using a matched pair (2x1GB) of Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PT. One of them is fine in Memtest, I let it run for over 3 hours. The other is nothing but errors as soon as Memtest starts. I checked them when I first got them back in February with no problems whatsoever. And now this.

Right now I'm using two old 256mb Corsair modules along with the 1GB module that still works fine.

I got the matched pair from Newegg originally, but they no longer carry it, it appears.

But, here's what it was when I ordered it:

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

Item #: N82E16820145575

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived