Corsair Community

Memory test fails with 2 sticks but not with one stick...

scotthands

when i test my ram with memtest it passes the tests(when testing one stick at a time). but it fails tests when both sticks are installed in single or dual channel mode.

Why could this be?

I use an asus p5b duluxe with Corsair 1GB DDR2 Value Select PC5300 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB) (VS1GBKIT667D2) .

thanks for the help, i've been trying to diagnose problems for about 1 week now and i might have found the problem.

so i should return my motherboard then?

damn, oh well, let's hope i get some decent customer service, instead of my retailer saying"take you problem to asus" and asus saying "take it back to your retailer"

Could it be caused by anything else? or is it a good indication that it's a defective memory controller?

ok , it tried my ram in two other dual channel sockets and it hasn't came up with any errors. I have an rma for my motherboard now but i'm not sure if i want to send it back or not, i can't be bothered dealing with the postage and stuff ,i'm not very patient.

If the memory controller was defective then why would it work on a different dual channel? is there just one memory controller or one per dual channel?

Archived