Corsair Community

memory is driving me nuts

Patjen

Hi ppl,

first my systemspecs :

mobo: Asus P4CP800-E deluxe intel 875 chipset

cpu: P4 3.0Ghz

ram: 2 x CMX512-3200C2 modules (no twin set but bought together and with exactly the same specs)

psu: Enermax 350W

gpu: Geforce ti-4200

hd: maxtor80gb*2 (sata raid 0 on ich5 controller)

myself: +15 years experience in assembling pc's :-)

The problem:

My system has been rock solid for the past 2 years but the past few weeks I began experiencing BSODs . Each time I checked the kerneldumps with windbg but the stopcodes are way too diverse to point out a cause. Always hardwarerelated though according to windbg.

Each time I ran a memoryhungry app the system would hang (photoshop, videoencoding, ...).

My actions:

1)removed unnecessary hardware from case (lan,sound, usb devices) --> still BSOD

2)loaded Bios defaults, set RAM voltage to 2.75V, set timings to the values found on the Corsair forum (Testing parameters for XMS3200C2) . --> still BSOD

3)ran memtest on one module at the time in all 4 memorybanks. BOTH modules returned +5000 errors in memory bank 2 and 3 after about 15min .....:!:

Because I thought it was unlikely the two modules would fail at the same time, I thought my mobo was defective so I bought a new one (bought a ASUS P4C800-E deluxe, couldn't find another new P4P800-E deluxe like I had before).

100 Euro's poorer --> unfortunately --> still BSOD !

So the mobo was definitely not the cause.

4) Borrowed a Zalman 620W Psu from my neighbour for a few days --> still BSOD

5) Again harassed my neighbour and borrowed his 2 sticks of Corsair valueram ....system works perfect under heavy stress....

All the previous tests were performed on both mainboards.

So now I can only conclude my Corsair memory has gone bad :[pouts:

Apologies for the long post but I just want it to be clear that I've done a serious effort before turning the blame on my memory. Even got a spare mobo to put in the cupboard ...

Any advice ?

• Corsair Employee
If you still have problems with the new modules I would make sure that you load setup defaults and then set the memory voltage and timings to the tested settings Cas 2-3-3-6 at 2.75 Volts and Disable legacy USB then run http://www.memtest.org on them. If you still have problems it might be a power issue; so please make sure that the PSU you have meets the minimum requirements for your system configuration.

Been 36hours but haven't gotten a conformation upon competing the RMA request form. Should I mail the excel version then to warranty@corsairmemory.com instead ?

Hate to be impatient but I need to get the modules replaced asap as I use my system to work from home.

(ps: my Enermax 350W PSU has enough juice for my setup and I also had the same problems with a 620W psu so I'm ruling out the psu as the culprit.)

Kind greetings.

Pat

Archived