Corsair Community

NVRam Error

Chuckr53

I tried your suggestion and it now makes it through POST...but now the system hangs when I go to install WinXP Pro at "SETUP is checking hardware configuration". It just sits there. I think there may be an IRQ conflict, but not sure how to find it. Thanks

Whelp, it's a good sign the board made it through POST, means whatever was corrupt (either bios program code or parameter/configuration information) has been cleared. An IRQ conflict's possible, just not highly probable. You didn't mention it; but there's a few extra steps that need to be done or should be done before loading Xp. I'd reflash the bios to the latest non-beta version of the bios available at the board manufacturer's website following their directions. After flashing, set timings and ram voltage to the ram manufacturer's specs. Reboot. There's an Xp install prep utility for your Raptors available at Western Digital's site, if you bought OEM drives they didn't come with the cd/floppy, may need to download it and place the decompressed file(s) on a bootable disk to prep the drive(s). Depending on the date of manufacture of the Xp install cd, it may or may not know how to prep any particular hard drive. You'll also need to make the SATA driver disk found on the motherboard cd for use during the Xp install at the point it asks for additional drivers at the F6 key querry. Certain versions of the installer program of Xp install cd fail/hang on install if the ram is in dual channel mode, so install Xp with a single stick in the board manual's dictated single stick slot (single channel mode). Xp itself doesn't mind dual channel just certain installers, after install add stick(s) for dual channel. Sorry about sounding terse just really pressed for time at the moment.

Thanks...it's all good info, and I'll put it to use as soon as I can. But after I posted earlier I decided to try and boot to floppy. System hangs after POST with just a blinking cursor. I tried booting the floppy on another pc, and it goes straight to the A:> prompt just fine. So now I'm going to start a re-build and try booting component-by-component to see if I can find the offending part.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

thanks for all the great input. I tried it all, then started all over again. The problem turned out to be a conflict with the PCI RAID Card. Once I took that out, everything worked fine. BTW...I couldn't get the PC configured with the RAID Card at all. Takes someone with more savvy than I have.

Thanks again.

The pc gets all the way to the Windows splash screen where you select the username for the Windows logon...that's when the conflict rears its ugly head. The USB Optical mouse shuts off. Since it makes it into Windows where it fails, both Promise and ASUS said to talk to Microsoft.

I've tried using each of the 2 PCI slots...same effect. I've tried changing tthe BIOS settings for each IRQ individually and in groupings, same effect.

So far, my only option is to not install the RAID card.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived