Corsair Community

2nd "bad" sticks of TWINX2048-3200C2PT

imprezagtr

Hi, I recently mailed 1 pair of TWINX2048-3200C2PT to Corsair and just received the replacement. However, I'm having the same problem as before. When I set the timing of the memory to 2-3-3-6, I keep getting memory error when running prime95 and memtest86. However, when I set it to 2.5-3-3-6, I have no problems. I have the RAM voltage on 2.8, and even tried 2.9 with no success. I have Abit KN8-SLI motherboard with Opteron 164, running the RAM at the default speed of 400mhz. I have also tried in Shuttle AN35N Ultra running Mobile Athlon XP 2500+, also at default speed, with no success. I have Also tried in my Intel comp, but same thing. Same problem with previous RAM. Is this a known issue? Or did they simply just return the defective RAM back to me? I have other RAM running at Cas 2 (not at the same time, of course) with no problems with any of my setup, AMD or Intel. Please tell me what I can do. Do I need to RMA them again? Thanks.

• Corsair Employees

Can you tell me the Bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

Should be something like this.

Dram Freq: 1-1/100% = DDR333 for the CPU you have.

DRAM Voltage: 2.7X Volts

DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual

System Performance: Normal

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3

SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform)

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Can you tell me the Bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

Should be something like this.

Dram Freq: 1-1/100% = DDR333 for the CPU you have.

DRAM Voltage: 2.7X Volts

DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual

System Performance: Normal

SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 6

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3

SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2 (2.5 on AMD platform)

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Hi, these are the settings in the BIOS of Abit KN8-SLI:

CPU = Opteron 165 OC to 2.85Ghz

HTT = 317Mhz

Multiplier = x9.0

Memory = 2.8 Volts

Speed = DDR266 using 2/3 divider

info reported in CPU-Z:

Frequency=203 Mhz

FSB:DRAM = CPU/14

CAS = 2.5

RAS# to CAS# Delay = 3

RAS# Precharge = 3

tRAS = 6

Command rate = 1T

Why did you say to set CAS 2.5 on AMD motherboards? Like I said in the first post, if I run it at CAS 2.5, it runs perfectly. But when running at CAS 2, it gives errors when running test. According to Corsair website, it says this pair is tested both on AMD and Intel board with CAS 2.

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/twinx2048-3200c2.pdf

That's a pretty substantial OC, even for an Opty. Have you tested the modules with no OC at all and 1 ata time? Based on how Corsair tests memory, it is highly unlikely that you will get 2 consecutive bad batches of memory.

It's been a while since I prowled the ABIT forums but, the bios' they were putting out for that MOBO (and others such as NI8, Fatality boards, etc) were flaky at best. I'd suggest testing the modules 1 at a time with Memtest with no OC. My guess is you'll find the memory is fine.

Mike.

That's a pretty substantial OC, even for an Opty. Have you tested the modules with no OC at all and 1 ata time? Based on how Corsair tests memory, it is highly unlikely that you will get 2 consecutive bad batches of memory.

It's been a while since I prowled the ABIT forums but, the bios' they were putting out for that MOBO (and others such as NI8, Fatality boards, etc) were flaky at best. I'd suggest testing the modules 1 at a time with Memtest with no OC. My guess is you'll find the memory is fine.

Mike.

I haven't done testing 1 at a time, but will do that tonight to check it out. I'll also reset the CPU clock to default during testing. But the thing is, I used another brand of RAM (PXXXX) 2x512MB at default timing 2-3-2-5-1T and runs perfectly fine with my current overclocked setting. I just upgraded to Corsair to get bigger RAM.

Hello. I set everything including the cpu and RAM to default clock rate, and everything works fine using CAS 2. So now I know it's not the RAM's problem. I slowly increased the CPU's clock rate to 2.8ghz (instead of 2.85ghz that I currently have) and increased the HyperTransport voltage by 2%. Now I can have CAS 2 without memory errors in memtest86. Also, I had to lower the RAM's speed from 200mhz to 199mhz (not a big difference) to achieve this overclock without loosing the timing. Looks like Corsair XMS doens't like the overclock much. Either that, or Abit doesn't like Corsair. But anyways, thanks so much guys for your help.

Great news and I guess 2.8ghz instead of 2.85ghz is a small price to pay for stability. Nice OC BTW. I can run 2.8ghz if I increase some voltages but,I really don't want to. You've got a :eek: real screamer :eek: there.

Mike .

Yea, thanks. I got one of those rare steppings. I'm pretty sure I can push it higher if I have water-cooling. Right now I have Zalman CNPS9500.

Archived