Corsair Community

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe / TWIN2x2048-6400

drumist

I am using a similiar setup:

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

Corsair TWIN2x2048-6400 (CAS5)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ AM2 (2.2GHz)

Because it's a 2.2GHz AM2 processor, I believe the maximum RAM speed is 2.2GHz / 3 = 733MHz. Assuming I do not overclock the processor, should I set the RAM speed down to 667MHz? (There is no option for 733, and it autodetects as 800.) Also, what are the recommended settings with this RAM and motherboard combination (i.e. all memory timings)? Some people have said to use 2T instead of 1T, but I believe the RAM is rated for 1T, so I don't see why this would be necessary.

Also, if I overclock the processor to 2.4GHz (which, from what I've read, others have done successfully), would that allow me to get the RAM speed up to its maximum 800MHz (since 2.4GHz / 3 = 800MHz)? If I do this, what settings should I use under BIOS?

EDIT: According to CPU-Z, the RAM's SPD claims its rated at 5-5-5-18, which contradicts this PDF which says it's 5-5-5-12. Which should I believe?

When running at 667MHz in BIOS, CPU-Z reports my RAM running at 200MHz (400MHz DDR). What's up with that?

After some research, I opted to overclock to 2.4GHz. I changed my "bus speed" from 200MHz up to 218MHz. Since the processor has a multiplier of 11x, this means the processor jumped from 2200MHz to 2398MHz. However, this also increases my FSB speed to 1090MHz, which hopefully will not cause problems. I left the RAM settings to be autodetected.

Screenshots of CPU-Z are attached to this post.

So far, the system is running stable, and at the ratings that the memory SPD report (note: differently from what the PDF on Corsair's website claims). This is good enough for me, though.

Can anyone see any problems with my settings? Is there anything I should change to improve performance? I am not accustomed to overclocking, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm I am not doing anything stupid!

cpuz_cpu.PNG.e6806081d207b137b1dbc8d538f5671f.PNG

cpuz_memory.PNG.f969ff1969e3f8947e90d35944bea921.PNG

cpuz_spd.PNG.02c192bca88c59d4293bb701ece4ebae.PNG

You will need to set the timings and voltage manually!

According to CPU-Z (and my motherboard), my RAM timings were automatically set to 5-5-5-18-2T. Is there any problem with this setting? What should I set it to instead?

What voltage(s) do I need to change?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys... you have a similar spec PC to me. I just put mine together and cant get it to work.

Do you need to update the bios on the motherboard for it to work with the AM2 4200+ ???

When it boots up it gives one long beep then two short beeps over and over. Graphics card works... had the motherboard replaced once already.

• Corsair Employees

memphix

Yes you need to get the latest bios and then set the CPU and memory timings manually and set the Voltage to 2. Volts!

drumist

The SPD is set JEDEC defined values for the specific IC we use to make that part, the tested settings need to be manually set!

After some research, I opted to overclock to 2.4GHz. I changed my "bus speed" from 200MHz up to 218MHz. Since the processor has a multiplier of 11x, this means the processor jumped from 2200MHz to 2398MHz. However, this also increases my FSB speed to 1090MHz, which hopefully will not cause problems. I left the RAM settings to be autodetected.

Screenshots of CPU-Z are attached to this post.

So far, the system is running stable, and at the ratings that the memory SPD report (note: differently from what the PDF on Corsair's website claims). This is good enough for me, though.

Can anyone see any problems with my settings? Is there anything I should change to improve performance? I am not accustomed to overclocking, so I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm I am not doing anything stupid!

u got the same system as mine (cpu, mb and mem).... should put ya HT muliplier to "4X" so ya FSB would be 872 jus to be on the safe side, but whatever floats your boat.

• 2 weeks later...
u got the same system as mine (cpu, mb and mem).... should put ya HT muliplier to "4X" so ya FSB would be 872 jus to be on the safe side, but whatever floats your boat.

I have a question. I am in the exact same boat (with simillar specs) as you two.

I did the same as the person above; I have my frequency at 215 and am getting 2360MHz, perfectly stable, passing every test with flying colors. Everything is "Auto" otherwise. I don't want to touch the voltages, but I do want a little higher MHz. If I turn up the frequency any more (have tried 218, 219, 220), the system seems to run perfectly stable, but it doesn't do a soft-reboot (Start-->Restart), it just sits at a blank after "Windows is shutting down". If I just hit the power button, it starts right up. Why this happens because of this over-clocking? I am not sure.

Here is my question, if I decreased my "HT multiplier" to 4x, would I be able to increase my frequency farther than 215 (while leaving voltages at auto, CPU multiplier at default 11x, not even touching the memory)? Also, what exactly does decreasing the HT multiplier have on the system? Does it affect it negatively at all?

Sorry, I am pretty new to OC'ing :)

Archived