Corsair Community

Twinx2048-3200c2pt one stick bad

einarr99

I bought this in oct of '05 from newegg

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

The original pc i was using died orignaly i thought it was a virus but i managed to kill it before testing.

I think it was the ram the was giving me the blue screens.

Anyway i decided i may as well upgrade the system and got a new MB and dual core chip. The windows install would always fail the exact same way and i RMA'd my windows disk but it was good.

Discovered one of the sticks was bad. I can use one and not the other. once the system was loaded I tried putting the other stick in and it wont boot. it also wont boot with only the bad stick in the same slot the good stick works.

Is there anyway to test it if it wont boot the system?

Not sure what info is needed ive never had a corsair go bad on me before.

The motherboard im using is ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2

With AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+

Once I get an RMA should i send them both back or just the bad one?

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7X volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I had a friend load the ram in his system and run memtest86. The good stick ran for 6 hours with no errors.

The bad stick had over 500,000 errors in hour and 17 min. Set at the timings on the stick and also lower settings. I will follow the link.

Archived