Corsair Community

Asus A&N*X-E deluxe and 3 ram sticks

davedu

I have been running this board for about 1 1/2 year with 2 512 sticks of Cruial, doing fine. Recently added a third stick and have a ton of errors on Memtest 86 and system crashes. All sticks check OK and all slots check ok and have come to the conclusion that the problem is that the board forces you into DDR mode if all three slots are populated, but info I have gotten is you can not use DDR in three slots, 2 slots OK and I guess 4 slots would be OK as long as all ram is matched up. Have gone back to 2x512 and all is well again.

Have now purchased 2 sticks of Corsair Twinx2048-3200 to upgrade to 2048 which I suspect will work fine, but have not received them yet to install. If at some point I want to go up to 3g does anyone know how to get this combination to work. The board spec says it will support 3 g in DDR but I have yet to find someone who knows how. I would also be OK with going 3g single channel, but can not find how to force that. Bios is latest, v 1013.

I have been running this board for about 1 1/2 year with 2 512 sticks of Cruial, doing fine. Recently added a third stick and have a ton of errors on Memtest 86 and system crashes. All sticks check OK and all slots check ok and have come to the conclusion that the problem is that the board forces you into DDR mode if all three slots are populated, but info I have gotten is you can not use DDR in three slots, 2 slots OK and I guess 4 slots would be OK as long as all ram is matched up. Have gone back to 2x512 and all is well again.

Have now purchased 2 sticks of Corsair Twinx2048-3200 to upgrade to 2048 which I suspect will work fine, but have not received them yet to install. If at some point I want to go up to 3g does anyone know how to get this combination to work. The board spec says it will support 3 g in DDR but I have yet to find someone who knows how. I would also be OK with going 3g single channel, but can not find how to force that. Bios is latest, v 1013.

Actually, your particular motherboard does not have four slots. It has only three DIMM slots, just like most Socket A nForce2 motherboards.

Also, what was the third stick (brand, model) that you added to make your system crash? (Remember, a stick of memory that you buy today may not be identical to the one you bought yesterday, even if both of them bear the same model number and brand.)

In addition, your CPU will not allow you to run your memory stably at the full DDR400 speed unless you overclock its FSB speed. Your Athlon XP 2800+ uses a 166MHz actual FSB clockspeed (333MHz effective FSB speed) -- and memory controllers will hiccup whenever you try to run memory at an actual 200MHz with a CPU running with a 166MHz actual FSB clockspeed. So, if you receive the 2GB kit, you will have to run the memory at 166MHz (DDR333/PC2700) even though it's rated for DDR400/PC3200 operation, due to the limitations of your CPU.

Thanks for the reply

My comment about the 4th slot was meant as a hypothetical. The theory I had seen in another forum was that the ram in the A1 & A2 slots had to match the stick in the B 1 slot, in capacity as well as type. If that is correct there is no way to run 1.5 g, or 3 g as there are not sticks, at least that I know of, to built that combination.

All of the ram is Kingston KVRX400X64C3A/512, ( sorry, brain lock when I said Crucial on the original) but as you say two were bought in Dec 2004, the third stick was bought Dec 2005, same part # and spec, but may not be perfect match.

I am running and will continue at the 166, have tried 200 but as you say a major hiccup, does not even get through the post.

My interest is the point about matching the capacity in the ram banks (A1+ A2 vs B) to be able to operate in DDR mode. I do not expect to want to upgrade this system beyond 2 g but am thinking ahead to the next machine. I also think it is interesting that the same situation occurs on a friends machine with an MSI board with the AMD 2800XP +. If you populate all three slots, the system tries to run DDR and is unstable. Go with 2 slots and is fine. My wifes machine has the Asus A8N7X-X, and it is fine with all three slots, but only supports single channel mode

• Corsair Employees

Yes Twinx2048-3200 will run great Just install them in slots 2-3 and then load setup defaults and set these settings with the CPU you have listed.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz

Memory timings: Manual

Would results in these settings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Graphics Aperture Size is 128 MB

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org to make sure its stable.

Archived