Corsair Community

Memory errors

FXEF

I have a stick of CMX512-3200 XMS3200v2.1 023805 that has died. I have been using this memory for about 4 years with no apparent problems, then all of a sudden XP would not boot. I did all the usual things to recover XP with no luck. Then tried to boot a Linux LiveCD with no luck. Started checking hardware. I ran a memtest86 on the memory in the original machine and it reported errors in test# 3. To make sure it was not other hardware (memory controller or motherboard), I ran memtest86 on this stick in another machine that supported PC3200 memory. This memory also failed memtest86 with lots of errors. This stick also failed Windows Memory Diagnostic Test. I am confident that this stick is bad. I purchased this memory from Googlegear.com on 27 Sep 2002.

How do I go about getting this memory replaced under warranty?

Thanks,

Bob

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

MSI KT4 Ultra (MS-6590) motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (2.133GHz) 333FSB Processor

I don't remember the exact BIOS settings for CPU. The BIOS settings for memory were set to SPD. The BIOS was set to default settings with no overclocking. This machine has run with those settings for about four years, then one day XP would not boot. Ran memtest86 and it showed lots of errors on my machine and also on my friends machine with a Gigabyte board. Removed all of his memory and installed my memory, his machine would not boot with my memory. He had 2 sticks of CMX512-3200 memory. Also ran memtest86 on his machine with only my memory and got errors.

Thanks,

Bob

• Corsair Employees

Please reset or clear the bios and load setup defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the timings manually. Then please test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz

Memory timings: Manual

Would results in these settings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Graphics Aperture Size is 128 MB

If you get errors please test the modules one at a time to make sure one is