Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 & TWIN2X2048-6400C4

Tbird761

Hi. I recently built a system for a friend using TWIN2X2048-6400C4. It's great when it works, but it's got serious memory problems running at even default frequencies (200MHz) with default timings and 2.1V. It seems pretty stable if I drop the HTT down to 166MHz, but this presents a problem. The AM2 processors are multiplier locked, so I can't simply raise his multiplier to make up for the reduced HTT frequency. I would increase the memory divisor as well to help with the problem and keep his processor's clock speed, but this board doesn't offer that option.

Suggestions?

I've run about two dozen instances of Prime95 in different configurations with each module in each slot alone and various dual DIMM configs--both dual channel and not. The problem always manifests itself, causing Prime95 to error out of its torture test. Normal usage of the system results in instant restarts frequently during games, too. Memtest86+ ran for 12 hours and encountered some problems on test five on two different passes. Prime95 set to run the torture test in cache instead of using RAM never has a problem. The issue is clearly in the memory subsystem. My guess is that the AM2 memory controller is simply being picky, but I can't really test the system with other memory. I'm still using DDR. The lower I drop the HTT, the more stable the system becomes. For example, at 200MHz, Prime95 usually throws up an error after 2-4 minutes. At 192MHz, it might go half an hour. At 185MHz--even longer. However, I know the processor cores themselves work fine, even at 2.4GHz. I ran the test for two and a half hours disabling memory usage (runs out of cache only) and had no problems. This isn't just a stability test issue. The fact that the system reboots or shuts down all the time prompted my investigation in the first place. No heat problems. CPU runs around 45C under load and the video card about 70C. Both temps are fairly normal for their respective devices. No overclocking.

It's an nForce 570 series chipset based board.

Thanks for any advice.

http://www.pcrpg.org/pics/mark/

I ordered four gigs of DDR2-900 memory to test it with after the holiday, too. Perhaps that'll shed some light on the problem as well.

I can't believe they sensor out other ram manufacturer names. It was Oh-See-Zee...it's important in this case because if it doesn't have a problem, that'll say something to this modules compatibility of these particular modules instead of suggesting bad DIMMs.

• Corsair Employees

Please double check if you have the TWIN2X2048-6400 or TWIN2X2048-6400C4. If 6400C4 Try the following settings:

DDR Voltage : 2.0v

DDR Frequency: 800MHZ

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Rate: 2T

If there are any turbo or performance modes, please disable.

My mistake--it's the CAS 5 version. The motherboard doesn't let me have any RAM-specific control, like memory speed divisor or anything. All adjustments I can make have to be done in Windows via nTune (temporary).

All the mobo supports is vDIMM, HTT, and some other voltage settings that don't really effect the RAM (such as HTT voltage, chipset voltage, etc).

• Corsair Employees

Please try Ctrl + F1 in bios to adjust timings. You may want to contact Gigabyte if you have a hard time accessing it because it is hidden. Try the following settings:

DDR Voltage: 1.9v

TCL: 5

TRCD: 5

TRP: 5

TRAS: 12

Command RAte: 2T

I am also running this board and having similar issue

My system is:

GA-57SLI-S4 (bios F3)

Twin2x2048-6400

650 thermaltake toughpower PS

2x xfx 7900GTX 512MB

2x WD 320GB

AMD athalon64 X2 4600+ (AM2)

I cant seem to get passed windows install errors during file copy.

I have tryed dual channel and single and tested each stick individauly

Is there any way we could get some memory timings more specific to this board there are alot of settings in the bios that are not coverd by the 5-5-5-12 settings

thanks for any help

Archived