Corsair Community

Bad ram, or is it?

Zeeo

I bought two sticks of VS1GB400C3 from Newegg a few months ago. I run them in a A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Everything was running amazing but after a while I started to get some memory_management and page_fault~ crashes. I wasn't too worried at first because they were only happening once every couple weeks or so.

Over time, they started happening more often, crashing once a week, then a couple times a week. Now sometimes I crash more than once a day (while still some days are crash free). I was never too worried about it because of the infrequency, but it's deffinately happening more all the time. Yesterday I had 3 crashes, one of which was a pfn_list_corrupt error, first time I've gotten that one.

Not long ago I tried the usual driver reinstalls and even reformatted my hard drive, but still have the crashes.

I figured it was finally time to just RMA the ram. So last night I ran a memtest... 0 errors. Wasn't expecting that! That was testing both sticks together. Tonight I plan to test each stick individually...

I thought maybe it might be incorrect timings or voltage or something? I haven't changed any of that, just running it on whatever it autodetected when I put it in...

Could it be possible for the ram to be bad but memtest to report no errors? Since I got two individual sticks and not a kit, if memtest doesn't report an error on one of the sticks, I won't know which stick to RMA. :sigh!:

Any thoughts? Hardware isn't really my area, so I'm in your hands :D:

• Corsair Employees

You will need to load setup defaults and then set these settings, but with the CPU you have you need to set the memory frequenct at DDR333.

System Performance: User Define

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166 MHz

Memory timings: Manual

Would results in these settings

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Graphics Aperture Size is 128 MB

Well I just went into the BIOS and set all that. The timings/etc were already right, but the voltage was at 2.6, and of course the frequency was on auto instead of 166.

I guess we'll just wait and see if things are stable now. With the randomness of the crashes it's hard to say for sure. If I have any more problems (or if I'm crash free for a while) I'll be back and let ya know. :)

Think I should still memtest the sticks individually tonight, or are they most likely fine?

Archived