Corsair Community

BSOD when removing 4GB Voyarger Flash Dr

adiamond

Doesn't alway happen but most of the time it does. I go through the standard task-bar safe stop USB drive process and after it tells me it's safe I remove it only to get a BSOD.

FYI

I have an older Flash Drive that never happens to.

I'm running Win2K SP4

I have it formatted for NTFS

I guess I should've stated this. I've never seen it happen on the other computer win2k sp4 or another Xp system I commonly use it on. Still, it is specific to this flash drive on this computer so there's some funky interaction (bad handshape of some sort) between the two but god knows what.

• Corsair Employees

But if it works on another system it’s not the drive per say, just an interaction between the controller and or driver of that system and our Flash Voyager. I would check for the latest drivers and or bios for you system and make sure you have all of the Microsoft updates done in Windows Update. Check the MB and see if it has a VIA USB controller if so you may need to get the latest driver from the respective controller maker and or MB maker.

As far as I know Microsoft has only included USB 2.0 support for most Intel and some of the early controllers but not all.

It's an Nforce2 mobo so I'm sure there's no VIA USB involved. I think at one point I had put it into the same USB port as I had put my older flash drive into. I went to the drive manager and changed its drive letter to match the old one as I had some utilities hard coded to that drive letter. I'm wondering if the OS could latch on the a specific USB port having only one particular flash drive with the same letter even if it is at different times or if the OS just isn't fond if setting the drive letter for a USB flash drive?

As I mentioned in a previous post, that I though that the problem might relate to it being used in the same port as an older drive and me renaming the drive letter to that same drive letter. So far, when I use the drive in another USB port I don't have the issue. I have not tried renaming the drive letter to match the "original" drive letter. Perhaps it's not so nutty as putting the same device (regardelss of what kind) on a different USB port causes a new hardware device found and driver install. Perhaps there's some configuration info that gets set for a specific device for a specific USB port and the computer can get confused in some way that leads to a BSOD.

Archived