Corsair Community

Do I need a pair to upgrade?

skul

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading memory in my Dell Dimension 4600, 3Ghz, 800FSB. I currently have 2 slots filled with 256MB sticks. My question is: can I install a single 1G stick (say, VS1GB400C3) and leave the last slot empty or I need to install only a pair into both remaining slots (say, VS1GBKIT400C3)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

What Wired said.

Also, it is not recommended to use only three sticks of memory (leaving just one slot empty) on a dual-channel motherboard with four DIMM slots. Your system will likely not even POST at all -- and even if it does run, the memory controller will default to single-channel (instead of dual-channel) mode, your memory speed will drop to DDR333 instead of DDR400, and your system may suffer more frequent memory errors and program crashes.

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer! So I will go with two sticks of 512 then. Do you think VS1GBKIT400C3 will do the job? Will it work OK with my original 2x256 Dell sticks? The system info on the DELL site has this to say about my memory: DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE, 400M, 32x64, 8K, 184. Does it mean I have a DDR400?

Thanks

Archived