Corsair Community

4 gig dual channel

Thirdeye_4

I was wondering if my computer would handle 4gbs of ram. My motherboard is a a8n32-sli deluxe and my processor is x2 4800. The ram i was thinking about trying was 2 sets of twinx2048-3200c2. Do you think running 2 sets of dual channel would be stable? Im looking to keep my system for a while and wanted to max out the memory for the future(vista,games). I know that i could buy 2 gigs and be fine for right now, but if i do that then i will get different revision numbers with the next 2 gigs i buy.

I was wondering if my computer would handle 4gbs of ram. My motherboard is a a8n32-sli deluxe and my processor is x2 4800. The ram i was thinking about trying was 2 sets of twinx2048-3200c2. Do you think running 2 sets of dual channel would be stable? Im looking to keep my system for a while and wanted to max out the memory for the future(vista,games). I know that i could buy 2 gigs and be fine for right now, but if i do that then i will get different revision numbers with the next 2 gigs i buy.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the entire 4GB of memory, especially with 32-bit versions of Windows XP. That's because either Windows or your motherboard's BIOS reserves the upper registers of that memory for hardware PCI interrupts. As a result, the total amount of usable RAM on such systems turns out to be around 3GB or even a bit less, depending on your system configuration.

In addition, your 3500+ may be of an older core (Clawhammer, Newcastle or Winchester) which will not run more than two double-sided sticks at the full DDR400 speed -- this will effectively limit your maximum total memory capacity @ DDR400 to 2GB. Attempting to run four 1GB sticks will drop your memory speed to DDR333, and may not run stable when manually reset to DDR400 in the BIOS.

• 1 month later...

Archived