Corsair Community

Another M2N-E compatibility issue

Gorsnak

I've just built a system using an M2N-E and XMS2 2x1GB PC6400. With the bios settings all set to auto, I got a bluescreen after a few minutes. I set the vDIMM to 1.95v, and things seemed to be working fine, but when I ran memtest I got numerous errors. I've now underclocked the ram to 667Mhz and memtest found no errors (although I only let it run about 30 minutes).

Now, here's the twist. My voltages are all a bit low. I've got 3.14v, 4.84v, and 11.58v (Seasonic S12-430). The 3.3v line in particular is right at the very edge of atx specs. Is it at all likely that the power supply could be the issue here? I've got a few spare parts kicking around including a different psu, so I'm going to do some testing, but it would be helpful to know if this is even a possibility.

First thing the PSU you have will not meet the requirements of your Video card from what I understand. I would check with the maker of your Video card to be sure!

Well that's just silly. Video card draws 75w, cpu 80w, be generous and say 50w for the chipset and ram, and 20 each for 2 optical drives and one hard drive, and we're at a max of 265 watts assuming everything is simultaneously drawing max power, which is damn near impossible. And of course, while running memtest the video card isn't drawing anywhere near max, nor are the optical drives. The idea that I'm overloading the psu just isn't reasonable. Those recommended wattages from video card manufacturers give themselves great gobs of margin of error because (1) they have no clue what else you might have in your system, (2) you might be using an old atx12v rev1.3 psu which can't supply as much power on the 12v rail, relatively speaking, and (3) a lot of cheap psus can't sustain anything like the draw they're nominally rated at.

Anyways, this looks to be moot because I pulled out my multimeter and it's reading the voltages at about 5% higher than the monitoring software, which means that the mobo voltmeter sensor is wonky and the psu is fine. I guess I'll run memtest on the sticks individually and see if it's both of them with issues or just one, and then decide if I want to live with them underclocked or RMA them.

Can only set vdimm to 1.95v on the M2N-E, a little more voltage would probably cure most of the problems. Thing is, this ram is supposed to be stable at 800MHz at 1.9v. I just successfully ran memtest overnight with the memory clocked at 667, but both sticks gave errors at 800 when tested individually yesterday evening.

Tried updating the BIOS, and it cured my wonky voltage monitor but didn't help the ram any.

Not quite sure what to do. The performance difference is really rather small, but I paid for 800MHz. Kinda wishing I'd gone with the MSI K9N Neo-F, to be honest.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived