Corsair Community

Faulty ram help

setver

Hi RamGuy,

I've been using the VS2GBKIT667D2 for about a month now. Yesterday while helping a user stabilizing his system, he mentioned that he couldn't get his RAM to run at the specs it's supposed to run (DDR667). So I tried to run mine at the specs speed. Originally I was running my ram in 1:1 ratio w/ the FSB (DDR400). So I increased the memory multiplier on my motherboard to 3.33x, effectively speeding up the ram to DDR667.

The system booted fine, and I tried out some Super PI calculation just to see the stability, everything passed ok, so I tried running SP2004 Orthos, within 20minutes I was getting errors. So I booted the system to change it back or maybe try to tweak the timings, but then windows gave me the "missing/corrupted windows\system32\config\system" message. I fixed that problem, and decided to memtest the memory sticks (@DDR400). 1 of the memory stick produced error on the first pass, and even more at the second pass at which point I just stopped the testing. The other memory stick passed 10 pass w/o any errors.

So far I've tried testing the suspected-faulty memory stick for at least 3 times, all with the same results. However memtesting the same memory stick @DDR266 gave no errors. Obviously I'm not willing to run my system slower than I'm used to just to compensate for the memory stick @DDR266.

Does this qualify as a defective RAM? For RMA, do I have to send both sticks back, or just the faulty one? Sending both sticks would mean that my PC would be useless until I get the replacement, and from experience, RMA process to my country (Indonesia) would take quite some time (It's been almost 3 weeks since I sent my defective EN7900 card).

When I bought the dimms, I also bought a pair clip-on heatspreaders. So both dimms are encased w/ the heatspreaders which also use a thermal adhesive.There's no way I can take the heatspreaders off without ripping the memory labels. On 1 of the stick (the working one) I did take off the label and attached it on top of the spreader. The faulty one still has the label intact, under the thermal adhesive. It would be really disappointing if I'm not-qualified for warranty just because one of the stick had the label removed :(:

Please advise, thanks!

• Corsair Employee
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Thanks for the reply Ram Guy,

What's the difference between the memtest86 & the memtest86+?

So Gigabyte motherboard's vdimm default is at 1.9v? I thought the JEDEC standard for vdimm is at 1.8v?

I'm currently running the memtest86+ (through boot-able CD, since I heard that turning on USB legacy support for my USB-floppy could sometimes produce errors) on the suspected-faulty stick as you suggested, and will leave it overnight.

The vdimm is set at +.2v, manual timings 3-3-3-9, and DDR400MHz.

So far the stick has passed 1 pass successfully,I'll update again tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Hi Ram Guy, here's the update.

I left memtest running the whole night (8 hours), the suspected-faulty stick actually passed a few passes without errors. However this morning I found that errors have appeared, I forgot to turn the scroll_unlock :p: so the earliest occurence of error that I can see is at pass#9.

Result on faulty stick: 8 hours of memtest86+, 23 passes, 8 errors, and from what I can see on the error list seems that all the errors appeared during test#4.

Result on the other stick: 6 hours of memtest86+, 18 passes, 0 error.

It looked like the ram stick is overheating :confused: because the faulty one did felt a little hot on touch, whereas the working one is only slightly warm.

I've just finished submitting the RMA request form. Still have a couple of questions tho.

1. As I mentioned earlier, one of the label sticker on the stick were removed and attached to the 3rd-party ram heatspreader that I bought, would that be a problem?

2. The sticks are encased in 3rd-party heatspreaders that use thermal-adhesive.I'm reluctant to try to take them off, since it might damage the other sticker that are still on the stick. Should I just send them along?

Thanks! :D:

Hi again RAM Guy,

Still waiting for the RMA number to be sent. Passed 24 hours since I got the RMA approved email. I sent an email to the warranty address tho.

I did make a mistake in the RMA details, since I put the memory as the twin type,I was assuming that it would be than it's a twin module.

The faulty module's serial number/lot number is under the heatsink!So I have no idea what it is. Or should I just disregard that, and just send both modules back eventhough I've only listed the working module's serial number?

Hi again RAM Guy,

Still waiting for the RMA number to be sent. Passed 24 hours since I got the RMA approved email. I sent an email to the warranty address tho.

I did make a mistake in the RMA details, since I put the memory as the twin type,I was assuming that it would be than it's a twin module.

The faulty module's serial number/lot number is under the heatsink!So I have no idea what it is. Or should I just disregard that, and just send both modules back eventhough I've only listed the working module's serial number and listed only 1 module?

Archived