Corsair Community

1 Stick of Twinx2048-3200c2 Fails Memtest86

kurtmc

Hello all,

I recently purchased Corsair's Twinx2048-3200C2 (2x 1gig sticks) memory. When installing Windows XP, I received a bunch of "Cannot copy file" errors. I then tried installing Windows with one stick at a time. One of the sticks can successfully complete the windows installation (stick a), while the other stick continues to have the "cannot copy file" errors (stick b). I then ran Memtest86 v1.65 on both sticks. Stick 'a' passes all test without any errors while stick 'b' fails on every test (right now at test 7 with over 700,000 errors)

I assume stick b is bad and I can RMA it with Corsair. Any other suggestions before I do?

Thanks,

-Kurt

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

• 2 years later...

Hello again,

Since replacing my memory, I've had no problems and great performance. I've recently installed Vista and well... now I need more memory ;-)

I want to add 2 more gigs to the 2 gigs that are already installed. My motherboard does support specific 4x1gig memory sticks and more specifically the ASUS QVL for the A8N-SLI does list TWINX2048-3200C2 as supported. When i went to go look at purchasing another set of TWINX2048-3200C2, I see CORSAIR has discontinued them. Yet they do manufacture TWINX2048-3200C2PT. Are these two different memory models compatible for Dual DDR 400 within the same system? To me it looks like they've just replaced the black casing with a silver casing, but I want to make sure they won't give me any compatibility problems before I purchase them.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 year later...

Me again!

I've been banging my head over an SLI issue and wanted to re-confirm that the memory settings in my BIOS are correct.

Background:

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI w/ latest BIOS ver, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, PNY NVIDIA GTS250 1024MB, and four 1gig sticks of Corsair 3200C2 (two packs of Twinx2048-3200c2) and Windows 7 64bit works great. I'm adding another PNY NVIDIA GTS250 1024MB video card and bridging them in SLI mode. As Windows 7 64bit boots up I immediatly get the BSOD. I even boot to a Linux Live CD and it locks or boot into Memtest86+ and a short time into the test the system restarts. If I take two 1gig sticks of Corsair 3200C2 out, Windows 7 64bit works with no issues (and if I take the second video card out /w 4 stick of mem in, the system works fine as well). I've even tested every combo you can think of between the video card and memeory and it works fine (no individual bad part), it's just when they are all installed together (2 video cards, 4 sticks of mem) is when my system goes crazy. My 500watt SLI certified power supply says it meets the specifications.

I've opened a case with PNY, but figured I'd confirm the memory settings as well:

Memclock index value (Mhz) = 333Mhz

CAS# latency (Tcl) = 2

Min RAS# activ time (Tras) = 6T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) = 3T

Row precharge Time (Trp) = 3T

Row cycle time (Trc) = 10T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) = 11T

Read-to-write time (Trwt) = 4T

Write Recovery time (Twr) = 3T

1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T

S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping = Enabled

H/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping = Enabled

Any thoughts? Thanks in advanced!

-Kurt

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules you should try these settings

Memory Voltage to 2.8 Volts

Memclock index value (Mhz) = 333Mhz

CAS# latency (Tcl) = 2.5

Min RAS# activ time (Tras) = 7T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) = 3T

Row precharge Time (Trp) = 3T

Row cycle time (Trc) = 10T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) = 11T

Read-to-write time (Trwt) = 4T (try this at 5 if still have trouble)

Write Recovery time (Twr) = 3T (try 4 or 5 if still have trouble)

1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T

S/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping = Enabled

H/W DRAM Over 4G Remapping = Enabled

Also with this MB when ever you run a memory test you will need to disable Legacy USB in the BIOS.

Thanks RAM Guy for your response. I made those changes 1 at a time and each time (with 2x Video Cards and 4x Mem Sticks) Windows 7 BSOD. No driver or Windows system file specified in the BSOD, just STOP: 0x0000007E. Note that the highest my Twr can go it 3T, it cannot go to 4T or 5T. After making all the changes and disabling Legacy USB, I booted directly into Memtest86+ v4.10 and it again locked up and restarted my box.

I can still take out 1 video card or two sticks of memory and Windows 7 works flawlessly. I still have a case opened with PNY, but I'm starting to think my motherboard cannot handle this configuration.

-Kurt

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest talking to ASUS and see what they say but you may be limited to running two modules on that MB. When it was new I had the same issue and they gave me the premium version of the MB to correct it.

Archived