Corsair Community

Possible memory failure?

Teletubbie

Recently, my computer has been crashing rather regularly. After installing a new video card and reformatting and reinstalling windows, I figured it wasn't my harddrives or my video card, so I started testing my RAM.

Using Memtest 86, I have yet to complete a full test.

The real problem is, memtest doesn't report an error, my computer just completely restarts before I see an error show up. During all of the crashes from windows, I never got a blue screen, my computer would just randomly restart.

I've tried messing around with different settings in BIOS, and my RAM is incapable of supporting sustained operation at full speed (200 MHz, (PC3200 / DDR400) I have to leave my RAM speed at 100MHz to get any semblance of stability out of it (I.E. my computer won't crash in five minutes, but usually won't last an hour at sustained operation)

My main method of stressing my computer is playing Word of Warcraft. With RAM settings on low, I managed to play for quite a few hours last night without a crash, but I alt+tabbed out quite often. I'm not completely sure if this has any real bearing on my problem, but I figured any little bit could quite possibly help.

CPU External Frequency - 100MHz

CPU Frequency Multiple Settings - Auto

CPU Multiple Settings - 11.5X

System Performance - User Defined

CPU Interface - Optimal

Memory Frequency - 100%

Resulting Frequency - 100%

Memory Timings - Optimal

Active Precharge Delay - 4

RAS to CAS Delay - 2

RAS Precharge Delay - 2

CAS Latency - 2T

FSB Spread Spectrum - Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU VCore Setting - Auto

CPU VCore - 1.650V

Graphics Aperature Size - 256 MB

AGP Frequency - Auto

System BIOS Cacheable - Disabled

Video RAM Cacheable - Disabled

DDR Refrence Voltage - 2.6V

AGP VDDQ Voltage - 1.5V

AGP 8X Support - Enabled

AGP Fast Write Capabliity - Enabled

I'm pretty sure you don't need all of these settings, but I figured better to put it here than not. Let me know if you need any other information. These are the only settings I've managed to find that keep my system stable enough for any length of time.

• Corsair Employees

First thing you cannot mix memory please juse use our modules and try these settings.

CPU External Frequency - 166MHz

CPU Frequency Multiple Settings - Auto

CPU Multiple Settings - 11.5X

System Performance - User Defined

CPU Interface - Optimal

Memory Frequency - 100%

Resulting Frequency - 333 Mhz

Memory Timings - Optimal

Active Precharge Delay - 7

RAS to CAS Delay - 3

RAS Precharge Delay - 3

CAS Latency - 2.5T

FSB Spread Spectrum - Disabled

AGP Spread Spectrum - Disabled

CPU VCore Setting - Auto

CPU VCore - 1.650V

Graphics Aperature Size - 256 MB

AGP Frequency - Auto

System BIOS Cacheable - Disabled

Video RAM Cacheable - Disabled

DDR Refrence Voltage - 2.7V

AGP VDDQ Voltage - 1.5V

AGP 8X Support - Enabled

AGP Fast Write Capabliity - Enabled

First thing you cannot mix memory please juse use our modules and try these settings.

I used mixed memory for over a year and a half with no issues, but I'll try it anyway.

After running Memtest with just the corsair module in with 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.7v and 200Mhz, my computer wouldn't even make it past the first set of tests before crashing. I also tried 2.5-3-3-6 as suggested at http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/specs/cmx512-3200c2.pdf

and my computer would even make it past the fifth test.

• Corsair Employees

What was the memory frequency set to?

Let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• Corsair Employees

You cannot run the memory frequency at 200 MHz with a 166 FSB CPU it will cause a bottleneck in the chipset and may generate errors that are not from the memory.

Please test with the exact settings I gave you.

I've tried running with the settings you gave me, and my system won't even boot if I try to run the RAM at 333MHz.

The highest RAM speed settings I could find are 222MHz @ 2.5-3-3-7/2.7V

Anything over 222MHz and my system won't reboot, and I have to turn it off and back on to try to find settings that it will actually boot at.

• Corsair Employees
What are you talking about? You have a 166 Mhz CPU is that correct? If so then you have to run the memory at 100% or 1-1 with the CPU with this platform. And I have never see a 2600+ CPU able to reach over about 205-210 Mhz. Please call our Tech Support at 800-205-7657

CPU External Frequency - 166MHz

Memory Frequency - 100%

Resulting Frequency - 333 Mhz

Memory Timings - Optimal

Active Precharge Delay - 7

RAS to CAS Delay - 3

RAS Precharge Delay - 3

CAS Latency - 2.5T

DDR Refrence Voltage - 2.7V

I'm talking about that. You suggested I run my memory at 333 MHz

I tried scaling down from there to see what I could get that would actually work, and 200 MHz is what I got.

And just doing a quick search, the FSB for an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ is not 166 MHz, but 333 MHz. I could be wrong there

And I'll go ahead and preempt this and say that I tried the processor and memory @ 166 MHz and 2.5-3-3-7 @ 2.7v and it was very unstable. My system would restart every few minutes, and I even had it restart a few times while I had made it no farther than BIOS

EDIT:

I guess an RMA is in order. While this part is returned for testing, any suggestions on RAM to buy that would be compatable with CMX512-3200C2? I'm looking into buying a set of 512's.

I would like to be able to, but it won't kill me if I can't. It would slightly suck to have a stick of 512 that I bought and can't use, but it's quite understandable if it's not a good idea to do so. Even if I do, I'd only be using it until I got this piece returned to me, as my mobo only has 3 RAM slots.

Thanks for the help

Archived