Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe + TWIN2X2048-6400C4 = No good?

WasteXTC

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at section 4.4.1 and get into my bios and change those settings however, I still see only 400MHz as frequency, here is what CPU-Z reports:

Frequency = 400MHz

FSB:DRAM = 2:3

Cas# Latency = 3.0 clocks

Ras# to Cas# Delay = 4 clocks

RAS# Precharge = 3 clocks

Cycle Time (Tras) = 9 clocks

Bank Cycle Time (Trc) = 5 clocks

What am I doing wrong? Help please. I want to run at 800MHz 3-4-3-9.

Thanks.

a-cpuz.jpg.f7f0d381173325f468594a10d825ffe6.jpg

b-cpuz.jpg.71ce20043305a375b3e238bb83e086e4.jpg

d-cpuz.jpg.5daad9abef42179b295684aafbab21a0.jpg

c-cpuz-1.jpg.4564d89f7d957f210c4751536142b1a4.jpg

• Corsair Employee

You are running the memory at DDR2-800!

DDR2 Memory runs at:

DDR2-533 = 266 Clock Frequency 2 X 266 = DDR2 533

DDR2-667 = 333 Clock Frequency 2 X 333 = DDR2 667

DDR2-800 = 400 Clock Frequency 2 X 400 = DDR2 800

DDR2-1066 = 533Clock Frequency 2 X 533 = DDR2 1066

Intel CPU:

533 MHz = 133 MHz Clock Freq. 133 X 4

800 MHz = 200 MHz Clock Freq. 200 X 4

1066 MHz = 266 MHz Clock Freq. 266 x 4

I think I have a problem with the twin2x2048-6400C3. When I have both modules install on this motherboard (P5n32slisedeluxe) and play, any games (ut2007, bf2 or quake4) the computer freezes after about few minutes. This happens to me all the times, regardless what I do. Here is what I have done so far

Set the bios to the default settings, so everything is set to the manufacture default with twin2x2048-6400C3 install. Then, I swap the memory around; put them on different slots (in dual channel A2 & B2 or A1 & B1) the same problems happen.

I have two modules of *** 1G at 667MHz, so I decided to put them in instead of the Corsair memory. I can play all my games with no the computer freezing up, slow but, no freezing.

I also notice once I turn on my computer (with corsair memory) it might not post. I have to cycle the power a few time before it does a post and finally into windows.

I download the program memtest and ran the Std test overnight for 7 hours with no errors reported, however when I run the program 3dmark06 with corsair memory, my computer freezes up while the 3dmark06 test is at "Deep Freeze" test, but with the *** memory it does not freeze my computer at all it completes the 3dmark06 test, plus when I turn on the system with *** memory the always post and goes into windows everytime.

I think I have bad corsair memory modules.

All I have in my computer is

CPU=x6800

xfx 7950GX2

Corsair memory

Antec trio 650W

Antec case P180

Any suggestions?

I try the bios default on everything and the second setting.

Bios 0501

Bios default (CPU-Z reports 5-5-5-18-22-auto)

memory frequency = 800MHz |Cpu-z reports - 400MHz|- dualchannel

memory volt = 1.85v

I am not OC'ing the CPU

Second settings (3-4-3-9-2T)

memory freq - 800MHz |cpu-z reports - 400MHz|- dualchannel

memory volt - 2.2v

I am not OC'ing the CPU

I went ahead and install the twin2x2048-6400C3 in single channel configuration and I was able to fully run the 3dmark06 but I still have post problems, had to recycle the power multible times for the computer to come alive. However the other memory modules(other manufactor 2x512M/DDR2-667MHz) has no problems booting, running 3dmark06 or playing my games without freezing.

My Mobo of course is the Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. I chose my pieces with much care. This is the first system I intended to overclock. I wanted memory rated faster than the stock to allow the head room of where I wanted to go!

I bought 2 pair of matched XMS2 DDR2 memory. Specifically I bought CM2X1024-6400 1GB sticks 800MHz.

With all 4 sticks plugged in, the system would post perhaps two times then hange prior to launch of X64 Windows.

Dropping to 1 stick, it would post and log into windows then hang after a few minutes.

I managed to flash the Bios to 0402... not much improvment.

After reading a lot of the info here and some of the memory presentations... I manually set the one stick memory settings to

5-5-5-12-A-2T

The A being Auto as there was no setting described here

So...

CAS Latency set to 5

tRCD set to 5

tRP set to 5

tRAS set to 12

tRC was left in Auto Variables can be set from 1 to 31

Address mode set to 2T

Memory voltage was changed from 1.85 to 1.90

The above increased my stability for the one stick - 24 hours and no issues... but as soon as I plug in any of the other sticks... It hangs in post.

I know the board will run one stick... I have tried two sticks in single mode and two sticks in DDR mode... niether seem to work.

Any suggestions?

oh yes... Processor is a Intel 965 D Extreme. 550W power supply and the system is watercooled.

Thanks for any assistance.:eek:

Wolvie

You reply to his message but you did not reply to mine

Your reply

"Yesterday 05:54 PM

RAM GUY What do you have the memory frequency and voltage set to? And are you over clocking the CPU?"

My reply

"I try the bios default on everything and the second setting.

Bios 0501

memory volt = 1.85v

I am not OC'ing the CPU

memory volt - 2.2v

I am not OC'ing the CPU

I went ahead and install the twin2x2048-6400C3 in single channel configuration and I was able to fully run the 3dmark06 but I still have post problems, had to recycle the power multible times for the computer to come alive. However the other memory modules(other manufactor 2x512M/DDR2-667MHz) has no problems booting, running 3dmark06 or playing my games without freezing."

Please see the previous post from me above for orginal problem.

Thanks. I saw your recommendation to use the beta Bios before... my problem with that is there is no description of what the BIOS was suppose to do. None the less, since you directly suggested it.... Done. Settings applied... Done and voltage selection moved to 2.1 and Done

The results... It has booted and gone into Windows and not hung for the very first time with all 4 sticks in! The bench marking and burn in at base levels Begins!

Thanks for the assist! Moving onto my next Windows X64 issue...sound!

I appreciate the helping hand.

Wolvie

:laughing:

Bump....

You reply to his message but you did not reply to mine

Your reply

"Yesterday 05:54 PM

RAM GUY What do you have the memory frequency and voltage set to? And are you over clocking the CPU?"

My reply

"I try the bios default on everything and the second setting.

Bios 0501

memory volt = 1.85v

I am not OC'ing the CPU

memory volt - 2.2v

I am not OC'ing the CPU

I went ahead and install the twin2x2048-6400C3 in single channel configuration and I was able to fully run the 3dmark06 but I still have post problems, had to recycle the power multible times for the computer to come alive. However the other memory modules(other manufactor 2x512M/DDR2-667MHz) has no problems booting, running 3dmark06 or playing my games without freezing."

Please see the previous post from me above for orginal problem.

Hi,

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe and am also using the TWIN2X2048-6400C4's to no avail. I have tried all the manual settings that have been said on this thread (4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.0v, 2.1v, and at auto) and have had the same problems almost everyone else is having (the computer shuts down when either playing a game or RAR'ing a large amount of data).

I found that my easiest way to make the computer hang is to try to rar about 1.5GB of files. With this method I can reliably get the computer to crash in about 10~15 min's. When I had my settings on auto I tried to run the memory test and got 1 and a half full passes with no errors, but it still crashes in Windows when doing my 'rar test'.

I figured the ram must not be compatible at all so I purchased some TWIN2X2048-6400's. Unfortunately these sticks seem to give me the same issue. :(:

I did at one point take out one of the sticks and ran 1x6400C4 in slot B1 as the ASUS rep suggested and it ran fine for a long time (2 days+). I ran the same test with the other stick with no problems. But I bought 2GB's of ram to use all 2GB, not to just have one to look at. :p:

If you could help me with my problem RAM Guy I'd be so grateful.

PS. I have tried taking almost everything out of the computer (sound card and network card and 3 of my 4 HDD's) to cut down on power use and that didn't help. I tried disabling on-board stuff to free up any resource I could and that didn't work. I'm at my wit's end with this! Please Help.

Hi,

I have an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe and am also using the TWIN2X2048-6400C4's to no avail. I have tried all the manual settings that have been said on this thread (4-4-4-12-2T @ 2.0v, 2.1v, and at auto) and have had the same problems almost everyone else is having (the computer shuts down when either playing a game or RAR'ing a large amount of data).

I found that my easiest way to make the computer hang is to try to rar about 1.5GB of files. With this method I can reliably get the computer to crash in about 10~15 min's. When I had my settings on auto I tried to run the memory test and got 1 and a half full passes with no errors, but it still crashes in Windows when doing my 'rar test'.

I figured the ram must not be compatible at all so I purchased some TWIN2X2048-6400's. Unfortunately these sticks seem to give me the same issue. :(:

I did at one point take out one of the sticks and ran 1x6400C4 in slot B1 as the ASUS rep suggested and it ran fine for a long time (2 days+). I ran the same test with the other stick with no problems. But I bought 2GB's of ram to use all 2GB, not to just have one to look at. :p:

If you could help me with my problem RAM Guy I'd be so grateful.

PS. I have tried taking almost everything out of the computer (sound card and network card and 3 of my 4 HDD's) to cut down on power use and that didn't help. I tried disabling on-board stuff to free up any resource I could and that didn't work. I'm at my wit's end with this! Please Help.

Sounds like your memory controller in your CPU is busted.

Thanks. I saw your recommendation to use the beta Bios before... my problem with that is there is no description of what the BIOS was suppose to do. None the less, since you directly suggested it.... Done. Settings applied... Done and voltage selection moved to 2.1 and Done

The results... It has booted and gone into Windows and not hung for the very first time with all 4 sticks in! The bench marking and burn in at base levels Begins!

Thanks for the assist! Moving onto my next Windows X64 issue...sound!

I appreciate the helping hand.

Wolvie

:laughing:

Didn't make it very far...

I have not been able to burn with the new config... any labour at the new settings gets me a BSOD specifically a Machine_Check_Exception

The technical info says STOP with a lot of octol code :(:

Any other suggestions?

Wolvie

Sounds like your memory controller in your CPU is busted.

Really? That could be the issue? Hmm. So that would mean I would need to return the motherboard then huh? I appreciate your quick response. Last night I actually had it do a hard lock with only 1 stick in the B1 slot. I'll give ASUS a call today then. Thanks again for the help.

couple million transistors, 1 goes bad, won't blow up the whole thing unless that specific transistor is hit.

Ultimately, if it can run single channel just fine, but not dual channel, and this is with two different pairs, it's the memory controller.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for my noobnis, but check my system specs.. Will I have to overclock the CPU as well as set the memory timings to get this memory to work? Or do I just have to mess around with the memory timing.. I think 4-4-4-12-2t 2.0v to get this setup to work?

Archived