Corsair Community

Asus K8V SE Deluxe. Adding 1x CMX1024-3200C2 to 2x CMX512-3200C2

DrGecko

Hi Ram Guy and everyone else,

I'm contemplating buying a new stick of RAM for my machine. As the title says, I currently have two sticks of CMX512-3200C2 in my Asus K8V SE Deluxe board, but I'm thinking I might want to get an extra GB for playing Battlefield 2.

Now, quite frankly, I know next to nothing about RAM, but I have a feeling that performance-wise I'd be best off getting 2x1GB, but I'd REALLY like to keep my two 512 sticks. But my question is: Will a CMX1024-3200C2 be compatible at all? And will I suffer any 'penalties' for mixing them up and will those penalties be worth the upgrade? If it's possible, which sticks go in which slots? Also, BIOS settings. Anything I should know?

Looking forward to your help. This looks like a great forum with lots of helpful smart people.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to wait a couple weeks before I get the money to swap those blocks then.

In the meantime, I'm curious if my BIOS is set up properly for my current configuration. I think I read somewhere that I should use slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 3. I just sorted that, but I read in another thread that they should be set at CL2.5. I found that strange, because I thought my blocks were CL2.

I might just be stupid and unable to find it on the forums, but could you give me an idea what settings to change in my BIOS?

[EDIT: Ah, that was hard to figure out. I guess looking at the links in your sig helps. D'oh. Sorry, nevermind. Seems it's because it's on an AMD system.]

And another edit: I notice you recommend Twinx2048-3200. I can't figure out what CAS Latency those are, but I did find a set of Twinx2048-3200C2 that were cheaper. What IS the difference?

I think I'm good for now. I have succesfully mastered the art or searching the forum now, I think.

It's just that I'm sort of new to RAM tech stuff and a lot of the terminology confused me. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again.

After making the appropriate BIOS changes I noticed that my BIOS version was a beta of the 1004 BIOS. So I thought I might as well get it up to date and installed the latest I could find that wasn't a beta version. This was the 1007 one. I booted up to a checksum error, but after hitting F1 the first time it booted fine. The only weird thing was now all the RAM options in the BIOS were greyed out.

I then upgraded to the latest 1008 beta - I think it's called 1008.004 - to see if it had the same problem. After flashing and rebooting, my computer simply stalled. No monitor power-on, no POST, no floppy check. Nothing. I reset the CMOS jumper and luckily it booted properly. I still have the same problem with the RAM options being greyed out. Not only that, they're also set to values that aren't quite what you suggested. I'll post all the values at the bottom of this. My machine runs well, I haven't had any crashes. I'm just a bit curious if those values are healthy for the RAM in the long run.

So I'm wondering if I should just revert to the 1004 BIOS. I noticed a lot of your other posts concercing this MB suggests getting the 1004 one. Is that because the later ones all have issues with RAM settings?

My current (greyed out) BIOS RAM settings:

Memory CLK: 100 Mhz

CAS Latency: 2.5

RAS/CAS Delay (Trcd): 2 CLK

Min Active RAS (Tras): 5 CLK

Row Precharge Time (Trp): 2 CLK

RAS/RAS Delay (Trrd): 2 CLK

Row Cycle (Trc): 7 CLK

Row Refresh Cycle (Trfc): 9 CLK

Read Write Delay (Trwt): 3 CLK

Read Preamble: 7.5 ns

Asynchronous Latency: 7 ns

Also, I can enter a submenu called Memory Configuration with these settings:

Memclock Mode: [auto]

Bank Interleaving: [auto]

TWR: [auto]

DDR Clock Delay: [auto]

2T Command: [disabled]

These are NOT greyed out, but I haven't touched them.

Archived