Corsair Community

Bad Ram

Sorry to Start a new Thread but the last one was a bit riddled with some misinformation on my part, I wanted to make everything clear, and describe every step that I have taken.

About two weeks ago I built a brand new system, based on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard, and AMD X2 4200+, and 2 x 1024 XMS2 DDR2800 Cas 4 Ram. Every so often I would get a BSOD or a screen lockup.

I decided to try some stress tests. Prime95 Fails. SuperPi Fails. Memtest86 passes, but Windows memtest failed and found errors.

I tried all of these tests over again on each individual stick and they all failed still. This made me think it was NOT the ram that was the problem. Finally I broke down two days ago and went out to circuit city and bought some cheap Kingston ValueRam that is compatible with my motherboard.

Every single test has passed with flying colors, not a single problem. 24 hours of Prime95, SuperPi, windows memtest, its all good.

My dilemma now is wondering what is more likely. Clearly the Corsair Ram is my problem. The question is, is it really that possible that two sticks that were both pre-tested both became defective for my computer, or is it more likely that this memory really isn't even compatible with my motherboard to begin with. If the second case is true, replacing it a million times will never help stabilize my system :[pouts:

I'm still within my 30 day warranty at Newegg and I'm wondering whether I should return it to newegg for a refund if it isn't compatible, or if I should go ahead and RMA it with you guys.

I love the RAM, this Kingston garbage is about 10 times slower than the Corsair, I just haven't found anyone who actually has my RAM and motherboard who hasn't had similar problems, which worries me.

My last question is is it possible to do an Advance RMA, where I give you my credit card number. I can't really be with a computer for over a week at this point, which further complicates things.

XMS number: XMS6404v2.1

Lot Code: 0629059-1

Serial Number: 100441015

Part Number: Cm2x1024-6400c4

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the tested settings for your modules and with this MB you have to disable legacy USB and set the CPU frequency manually when running http://www.memtest.org or you may get errors that are not from the memory.

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and then load setup defaults and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the tested settings for your modules and with this MB you have to disable legacy USB and set the CPU frequency manually when running http://www.memtest.org or you may get errors that are not from the memory.

Well actually I said memtest was the one test that always did pass fine. The symptoms were Prime95 failing, SuperPi failing, Windows memtest failing, and random lockups. The voltage is set to 2.1.

As far as I know the bug that causes memtest86 to fail with legacy usb is only present in memtest86, and not in all of these other programs.

Then chances are its not the memory thats the cause. Did you try what I suggested with loading setup defaults and resetting the settings?

And can you list your complete system configuration?

Yes I tried exactly what you had said. I've set the timings exactly to what they should be and the voltage to exactly what it should be. I disabled legacy usb even though I knew that wouldn't help anything but memtest86. The kingston ram works perrfectly so I think its hard to osay the memory isn't the cause.

M2n-SLi Deluxe

AMD 4200+ X2 (I've ran CPU stress tests, it holds up fine)

whatever ram works at the moment

Hiper 580 Watt Power Supply (I've ran power supply stress tests, it holds up fine)

120 gig SATA2 drive

Dvd Burner

Evga 7600Gt

I am an IT technician and I can tell you for sure that either this is the memory that is faulty or that it is not supported by this board. I've tried running the ram at 5-5-5-18 instead of 4-4-4-12. I've tried running the ram at DDR666 Speeds instead of 800. I've tried messing with the Vcore for the CPU. I've tried just about everything, the only thing that has ever caused this computer to pass all these tests is switching out the ram with Kingston ram.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Test them one at a time and se if its just one module thats the cause.

Tried it, both fail still.

When the Ram is clocked at DDR2-533 it passses no matter what. Also, when I change the voltage to 1.9 and change it to DDR2-667 it passes no matter what. I just can't get DDR2-800 to work

Then its not the memory that's the problem. Are you Setting the memory frequency manually and the Voltage to 2.1 Volts and with this MB you have to Disable legacy USB when running http://www.memtest.org.

Buy the way what is the make and model of your PSU and what Video Card or Card's are you using?

Yes as I've said before I have disabled USB legacy and memtest passes fine no matter what speed it is. I also did manually try 2.1 volts yes.

I have a Hiper 580 watt PSU, and a single 7600GT card.

They should be fine, what Bios version do you have? Is it the latest, and did you try and clear the bios and load setup defaults and re-set the settings?

yes I have version 402 right now, I've tried 304 and 307 as well. And I have cleared the bios and loaded setup default and re-set the settings.

This ram now works perfectly at 4-4-4-12-2T at DDR2-800, exactly what it is suppsoed to be, by setting the voltage to 1.95. It was very unstable at 2.1, and would not boot at 1.9.

Either this ram is rated for the wrong voltage (not at ALL likely), or my motherboard is a piece of crap with horrible voltage regulation (very likely, since a lot of people are having problems with this motherboard)

regardless, I need to continue to do some more stress testing but this test used to fail after one hour and I am hour 15 right now with no errors.

Thanks for your help, might wanna keep this in mind if anyone else has problems with that memory and this motherboard

I would suspect your PSU before the MB.

Please consider one of our PSU's and I am sure that will help.

I don't think so. Its not so much poor voltage regulation. I've tested all the rails with a multimeter and it seems to be doing a pretty good job. The problem is the voltage settings on the motherboard are all off by about .1 or .2. For some people its .1 or .2 higher than it should be, for some people its lower. There are a lot of posts about this on the Asus support forum which is what made me try and lower the voltage. The Vcore is the same way. This motherboard is just idiotic at translating voltages from the bios settings to reality.

OK NP but .1-.2 Volts off is pretty good and if it is a power problem you may not be able to see it with out an Oscilloscope.

oo I'll have to take it down campus to the electrical engineering building for that one then, haha. So .1-.2 volts is normal? That means that when the Vcore is supposed to be 1.3 it could be 1.4 or 1.5, that seems like a pretty big difference.

Well what’s its reading in the bios is not always accurate. And the CPU Vcore is controlled by the CPU in Intel CPU's.

But not in AMD Cpus? Mine's an AMD. And if the bios is accurate why would the RAM work perfectly at "1.95" volts and very poorly at "2.1" volts. This ram is rated to run at 2.1 If it was a power supply issue I would not expect to see an issue such as a single constant definitive voltage problem that could be corrected just by turning down the voltage.

Archived