Corsair Community

K8N Neo2, X64 4400+, TWINX2048-3200PT 2GB DDR400 XMS3200

JoeSchmoe123

Greetings everyone - I'm an older student and took student loan money to get a "decent setup" that would allow me to do digital audio as my hobby.

However there's some bottleneck that leads me to believe my hardware timings are messed-up. I don't want to overclock, just get the best stock settings. My BIOS settings are:

* Disable Cool & Quiet, Aggressive timing option ON, Dynamic Overclocking OFF, no RAID just SATA, HTT @ 5, CPU multiplier at 11.

RAM timings:

TCL: 2.5

TRCD: 3

TRP: 3

TRAS: 6

1T/2T: 1T

Trc: 13

Trfc: 18

Trrd: 3

TRWT: 3

If there are voltages I should change or diagnostics I should try I'll gladly do it, as recommended here. If I can provide additional ainformation just ask.

Thank you VERY much.

(there's no way I can afford different RAM or Mobo - I'm stuck with what I have, I'm dirt poor otherwise and am here only after exhausting the "regular performance tweaks).

First your spex say 2 x ... for the memory. Do you have 2 DIMMs or 4 DIMMs total?

First, I would suggest raising the voltage up to 2.8v +/- .5v if your bios allows that. Also, disable the Aggressive Latency Option if you can. This could easily interfere with any manual bios settings you choose.

Mike .

specmike thanks a lot, I did both things and will test for hours.

And I have 2 DIMMS total installed, for 4 Gigs total memory, running XP Pro.

If you or anyone else have more tips or tweaks for other BIOS settings I'm all ears. Again thanks, testing in progress :)

Thanks very much Ram Guy - I can't find settings for TRFC, TRRD nor TRWW so I'm in the midst of finding which BIOS had those - I remember one of them DID, though it may be an unofficial one - no problem I tried them all and none of them wrecked anything I know of.

Mind if I bug you with one more question?

I don't understand the relationship between the FSB and HT etc as it may impact RAM.

I set my HT or HTT to 5 and I noticed a lot of people have it lower which I can't understand. While this may be a hair off the RAM topic, honestly I don't know of anyone else who can answer that, and if you woudn't mind cluing me in: I assume all responsibility if my computer becomes a roman candle :p:

• Corsair Employees

Just use the default settings with those settings and only set these.

Please load setup defaults and set these settings:

RAM timings:

DDR/Dim Voltage: 2.7 Volts

TCL: 3

TRCD: 3

TRP: 3

TRAS: 8

1T/2T: 2T

I can't thank you enough - in the end it must have been too low a voltage that caused my computer to have Attention Deficit Disorder when it was in the middle of some task, because after 24 hours trying 1.8 and now 1.7 volts, the bottleneck totally dissapeared. For all the productivity I would have missed if it weren't for your great advice I thank you VERY much!

Ram Guy I have a confession - I have 2 sticks of 1 GIG RAM.

The kind I told you I had, but I've had a terrible toothache lately and I'm not thinking too clearly (in pain).

Are my timings the same then? I rally want my computer as optimized as possible - pushing the settings up a slight bit wouldn't bother me as the case is well cooled and I have confidence in the quality of the parts.

As a DAW (digital audio workstation) I need the computer to be the closest thing to a fire breathing dragon because of the drag resulting from lots of low-latency plugins and instruments and high sample rates.

Talk to me bro I'm all ears (that's a neat pun entirely by accident) ;):

Archived