Corsair Community

DDR Compatability ? Does mixing Mem Cards ddr333 & ddr266 have an effect?

mws120

Just trying to run the home pc on a budget for the family... SimCity game running slow, so I brought memory card and worked great for 2 days. Today the pc shut down and entered safe mode with some ugly error messages. Pulled the Mem. Card out and its working again?? not convinced that it is the card though... the manual that came with the mother board (K7T266 Pro2-A) said that it supports pc2700/ddr333 & pc2100/ddr266.

I currently have 1x 128MB DDR266 (that was the original (non Cosair)), and installed 1xCosair valueselect 512MB DDR333 6mths ago. Just tried to instal another Cosair valueselect 512MB ddr333 and the pc shut down. (I was told it was just a matter of plugging the card in and turning the machine on)

Any suggestions? (can you help make Dad a star?)

Just trying to run the home pc on a budget for the family... SimCity game running slow, so I brought memory card and worked great for 2 days. Today the pc shut down and entered safe mode with some ugly error messages. Pulled the Mem. Card out and its working again?? not convinced that it is the card though... the manual that came with the mother board (K7T266 Pro2-A) said that it supports pc2700/ddr333 & pc2100/ddr266.

I currently have 1x 128MB DDR266 (that was the original (non Cosair)), and installed 1xCosair valueselect 512MB DDR333 6mths ago. Just tried to instal another Cosair valueselect 512MB ddr333 and the pc shut down. (I was told it was just a matter of plugging the card in and turning the machine on)

Any suggestions? (can you help make Dad a star?)

Unfortunately, the KT266A chipset supports only PC2100/DDR266 memory. (Although memory that's rated at PC2700/DDR333 can be used, it will only run at PC2100/DDR266 speed.) In addition, if you use more than two double-sided modules on your older system, all three modules should exactly match each other or else your system may not POST at all.

Yes- I have tried the identical ram and pc still does not like it....to be more specific, the pc reboots and reboots, sometimes it tries to go to safe mode, but doesn't like that either.

Yet to test using memtest.org....will do that tonight.

Hey thanks for the help so far but.

Okay...didn't think it was going to complex to just add addtional RAM Stick.

The CD that has the Mem. test failed...basically was not in

bootable format...my fault...but no more disks left....(Ahhh)

My next step....pulled out all 3 RAM sticks that were in the machine last week, and placed the new one that I purchased in all by itself...."the error of rebooting PC" happened again....I pulled the new one out and put all the "old" sticks back in (1 x 128mb66mhz, 1x 512 Cosair 512mb 333mhz, 1x 256mb 333mhz - and all different brands) PC works fine again.

Is this enough to suggest that the new stick is suspect??

(can't get new disks for another couple of days & I didn't really want to go fiddling with the voltage and speed just yet)

Still happy to accept advice and suggestions....

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum

thank you for your help guys....fantastic.

Got the Memtest going and yes - the stick failed test #3. I've sent it back to the supplier today. (I tried another PC2100 that I purchased for my dad in my machine and ran the test all clear....it also worked with the exisiting RAM sticks too.)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived