Corsair Community

Can't format 4GB Voyager!

macdane

I have a 4GB Flash Voyager that I bought in April. When I copy small amounts of data to it, it works fine. But when I try to do a large batch of files, say 3GB+, it chugs along for a few minutes and then gives me an error message. At that point I can't unmount the drive and just have to pull it out of the computer.

I thought a reformatting might help, but it gets tripped up there as well and gives me an error message. Any ideas?

Thanks!

macdane

• Corsair Employees

Please open a dos prompt and try formatting the drive with this command:

Format (X:) /FS:Fat32 /U

(X:) = the drive letter assigned.

then try and copy to it again, if that does not solve the problem, please follow the link in my signature and we will happy to replace it

Okay, perhaps I should have warned you that I'm a Mac-user! I do have access to a windows pc though, and I tried your suggestion. The Flash Voyager shows up on the pc as Drive E, so this is exactly what I typed:

Format (E:) /FS:Fat32 /U

...and the message I got back said "Invalid drive specification."

Did I type something wrong, given that the drive is displaying as Drive E?

Thanks!

Nevermind. A windows-using friend (poor guy!) just suggested trying it without the parentheses like this:

Format E: /FS:Fat32 /U

And it worked, but I still have the same problem when trying to copy files to it. From what I can tell, I can get close to 2GB on it before running into trouble. I paid for 4GB, though, so I'll follow your link to get it fixed/replaced.

Thanks!

macdane

• Corsair Employees
Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived