Corsair Community

Computer Unstable, Maybe RAM?

Well this started off as just a few random reboots and it still doesn't interupt my daily use very much, but I decided to run some stability tests. Memtest 86 ran for 12 hours without an errors. Prime95, small fft's has run for almost 12 hours now without any errors. The Blend test somestimes locks my computer up within about 10 minutes, and large FFT's typcailly fail after about an hour and a half. Also sometimes when I start up 3dMark06, the system scanning tool at the beginning locks my entire computer up. I also got a IRQL Not less or Equal BSOD while running the Large FFT's test once.

I"ve tried messing with so much crap. I turned off cool and quiet. I've double and tripple checked my memory timings and voltages, and even tried relaxing my timings from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-18. I know temperature isn't the issue. it barely peaks over 50 celsius under a full load. I have the Vcore set to 1.3 but every program is saying that it is actually running at 1.35, but I figure since the ideal range is 1.3-1.35 that should be fine anyways. I'm really at a loss here of what to do. I don't know if its a settings problem, a hardware problem, or what. My power supply seems more than adequate, I don't really think that is the problem either.

Can anyone please help me ?

Asus M2n-SLI Deluxe

amd 4200+ x2

Corsair 2 X 1024 XMS2 DDR2 800, CAS 4

Hiper 580 watt PSU

Sure, I manually set the Vcore on the processor to 1.3, it was an auto before, and hovering between 1.35 and 1.4, I've experienced the same problems with both vcore settings. I have no other peformance options for the CPU set. My memory defaulted to 5-5-5-18-2T, so I had to manually set it to 4-4-4-12-2T. The system wouldn't boot until I then adjusted the memory voltage to the defined 2.1 volts, then it booted up fine.

Gonna shut down and get those numbers off the ram for you now

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

In addition with this MB you have to set the memory and CPU frequency manually when running any memoy test. And Cool and Quiet should be disabled as well. When running any bench mark or test. But if you are not getting errors in memtest I would suspect some other problem.

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

In addition with this MB you have to set the memory and CPU frequency manually when running any memoy test. And Col and Quiet should be disabled as well. When running any bench mark or test. But if you are not getting errors in memtest I would suspect some other problem.

what do you mean set memory and cpu freqency manually, what should I do exactly

In addition with this MB you have to set the memory and CPU frequency manually when running any memoy test. And Col and Quiet should be disabled as well. When running any bench mark or test. But if you are not getting errors in memtest I would suspect some other problem.

Oh and how you said to test with memtest one at a time, With both sticks in memtest does NOT return any errors. Its just the locking up and freezing, especially during the RAM heavy prime95 tests. I've been scowering forums all day and it seems a decent amount of people have ended up having bad ram that checks out ok with memtest still.

Please call our tech support if you need help with the settings and how to test the modules 800-205-7657. But I have no problem replacing them if you just want to try that!

To replace them would I have to send mine in first before I could receive the replacements? I just don't have any spare DDR2 lying around to use while this ram is gone, I'd probably have to wait a few weeks before I could be without my computer. Thanks for your help!

I would go thru some trouble shooting especially if you are not an experienced system builder. About 80% of the modules we get back test OK.

I'm troubleshooting the heck out of this don't worry. I want to ship a good memory unit back to you just as much as you guys want to receive a good memory unit for RMA. I've tried just about every safe bios configuration and I'm running loads of tests on this now. I'll let you know.

I would go thru some trouble shooting especially if you are not an experienced system builder. About 80% of the modules we get back test OK.

I might actually be on to something here now though. With both sticks of memory in the Prime95 In Place FFT test would fail every time. With one stick in it still failed. I'm trying with the other stick in now and it has gone for almost 10 hours without failing. Normally it would fail without about 40 minutes.

This would almost certainly lead to the one stick being bad.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them or it replaced. But I think you have had them replaced so I would suggest calling the customer service person you dealt with so they can speed things up for you. Or please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

Archived