Corsair Community

Asus M2N-E with Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4

simbob26

Confused!

Have just bought new system and put it together, set up bios to specs and tried to get the thing running. I have an Asus M2N-E M'board and Corsair XMS2 DDR2 5400 (2048MB) TwinX memory. I can make the thing run flawlessly on any setting (below the 675MHz and latency figures quoted) with one memory module in (1GB) but everything goes crazy with both in place. Windows will not usually even load........ I have tested the memory modules both individually and together and each test is faultless. Even running at sub-testing speed/latency the pair cause glitches. I have tried to upgrade the bios of the motherboard as has been suggested elsewhere but it appears the latest bios is already in place.......

I don't know what else to do. Is it possible that there is a flaw in the motherboard somewhere in the memory bus?

HHHHEEEELLLLPPPP MMMMEEEE!!!! (please)

• Corsair Employees
First thing, the PSU you have may not meet the minimum requirements of the Video card you have I would check with the card maker to be sure. And if the modules are passing memtest but your having problems in windows that might be some other problem. What exactly is the problem. Are you getting a stop error that you can trace at http://www.microsoft.com/technet?

According to Asus the system power requirements should never exceed 450W due to the video card (in a basic system). This machine has only 1 optical drive, 1 HDD and a floppy. I have not yet connected any of the case fans.

The problem first manifested itself when the windows installer began loading drivers into memory prior to installing windows and aborted several times due to a "pfn_file_corrupt" stop error. I removed one of the modules to see if I could identify what I believed to be a faulty module, and voila.....windows installed without any hassles. After that I replaced the module to run a memory test (which I left overnight) and in the 12 passes it ran it found no errors. I decided to try and boot windows but it would not boot. It failed and gave me a very vague reason of "possibly due to new hardware installation" I have run both individually and the machine is fine....it's only when I put them together that the problems begin. I tried reducing the memory speed to 533MHz and adjusting the other settings to slower values but to no avail.

It is entirely possible that the power supply is at the limit of undersupply, but even with the video card bogged down in High resolution 3d processes, with one memory module, it is as stable as you like. Do the pair really use that much more power when used in tandem? It is certainly worth getting a larger power supply if they do.

• Corsair Employees
Yes the power needed to run each module is about 12 watts not including the power used by the memory controller. I would suggest testing the modules in another system or try another Video card in your system that does not have a high power requirement.

Archived