Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-5400C4 on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium having problems

mcgilles

I'm trying to build a new system and I'm having a great deal of difficulty trying to get it to function properly, the system is having frequent lockup problems, both during windows startup, and during post. if it does make it into windows (maybe 1-2 times out of every 10 boot attempts) windows appears to run just fine.

I have two Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400 Xtreme

Performance Memory. 4 sticks for a total of 4GB. during post it recognizes all of it, in windows it recognizes only 3GB if that means anything. I've tried all kinds of combination of memory sticks to see if I have a bad one, but no change has made any difference.

I have a detailed list of the problems and my troubleshooting procedures, but its quite lengthy, at the moment I just want to make sure that this RAM is in fact compatible with this board. I selected my ram after checking compatibilty, I'm pretty sure it was on Corsair's web site where I did a check for compatible RAM based on on the specific motherboard. are there any settings which I can check in bios which may help with compatibility or any other suggestions to rule out RAM as a possible cause for the problems?

thanks!

I ran the tests from memtest.org on all 4 modules individually and then again on all 4 of them in the system at the same time. It passed all tests each time. I assume that means the memory is completely compatible and that it works properly. I guess that eliminates memory problems from being a potential cause of the problems I'm having.

The mainboard is an Asus P5WD2-E premium.

Intel Pentium D 960 3.6GHz processor

Corsair RAM as listed before

ATI X1900XT Video card (PCIe)

Antec 550W Power supply. I'm not sure of the exact model number, but its got the 20 or 24 pin mainboard connector and 4 or 8 pin aux mainbord power connector. those are built into it, then there are 5 or 6 connectors right on the supply where you plug in the wires for device and SATA power, its also got the PCIe power connector.

I've tried each ram stick on its own, each pair on its own, and all four at the same time. no matter what, it doesn't affect the lockup problems at all.

I've swapped in a different Video card which also did not make a difference. the only things I have not tried to swap off of the mainboard are the processor and the power supply. I don't really have another of either readily available. I could take apart my dad's computer to get some that I could try, but it sure seems like a mainboard malfunction to me.

Archived