Corsair Community

Is XMS2-5400C4 compatible with P5W DH?

jimborae

I'm trying to use a 2 gig set of XMS2-5400C4 with an Asus P5W DH and a 6300 core duo 2. To say the system is unstable would be an understatement, so I ran Memtest86 v1.65 and if it manages to run I get hundreds of errors.

I've tried running the test with the ram in different slots & just running single sticks and the result is the same. The ram voltage is @ 2.0v and I've tried slackening the timings to 5.5.5.15, all to no avail.

So do think it's a compatabilty problem or could it be the ram is bad.

Regards

Jim

• Corsair Employees
Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Please load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XMS2700C2 Cass 2-3-3-6 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Hello mate,

I've done as you've asked and one stick is definitely bad (For an RMA I'll go via the reseller as I'm in the UK so it should be quicker) . However thought I'd post my findings for others regarding the good stick.

It doesn't like volts! Upping the ram voltage to 2.1 volts caused errors at the prescibed timings. However if I reduced the volts to 2.05 and below it passes memtest no problems. So the moral is that upping volts is not always the way to go.

The other stick is complete no go'er it, Memtest will freeze up almost immeadiately in the first test & I then have to reset the machine. I also tried slackening the timings to 5.5.5.15, still no go. It does this in all slots.

Cheers

James

• Corsair Employees
It doesn't like volts! Upping the ram voltage to 2.1 volts caused errors at the prescibed timings. However if I reduced the volts to 2.05 and below it passes memtest no problems. So the moral is that upping volts is not always the way to go.

This would suggest a voltage problem with your system, can you test the modules in another system?

I have no problem replacing your modules but what you have posted might suggest some other problem. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

This would suggest a voltage problem with your system, can you test the modules in another system?

I have no problem replacing your modules but what you have posted might suggest someother problem. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Unfortunately I can't test them in another system, all my others take DDR not DDR2. :(

I agree that it may indicate a slight over volting problem with my board but I have no way to test this either. hardware monitoring doesn't show VDimm. However it wouldn't be the first time that certain ram chips didn't like volts i.e. TCCD for example and the fact that one stick is fine & the other is a complete no go would tend to suggest that one stick is bad at least.

Anyways I'm rma'ing them though my approved reseller in the UK (Scan) as I don't want to bear the cost of shipping them to the U.S. myself. But thanks for the offer & your continued support.

Archived