Corsair Community

upgrade?

jeepn

I'm currently running the TWINX1024-3200XLPT in my system as well. I would like to upgrade an extra gig of memory.... maybe two. I saw your suggestion for the TwinX2048-3500LL for two gigs worth, but what about 1 gig? I looked through the compatibility chart and found what was compatible for my motherboard, but I don't know which of the listed products will play nice with my currently installed set. Any suggestions? :biggrin:

Well, I did some brief shopping and it looks like the 3200XL is not stocked anymore. Is this not really sold by Corsair anymore? So does this mean I'll have to buy the TwinX2048-3500LL if I want to upgrade at all?

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are. Thanks!

Well, I did some brief shopping and it looks like the 3200XL is not stocked anymore. Is this not really sold by Corsair anymore? So does this mean I'll have to buy the TwinX2048-3500LL if I want to upgrade at all?

Sorry, but you cannot mix different memory modules with this platform. All of the memory modules must exactly match each other.

In other words, find another use for (or sell off) your existing TWINX1024-3200XL kit and just get yourself one TWINX2048-3500LL kit for best performance.

Also, your motherboard has a VIA K8T800 chipset, which suffers from even further limitations than most nForce4 motherboards: If you run four double-sided modules, you will have to drop your memory speed down to DDR333/PC2700 because the VIA K8T800 series chipsets are very poor at dealing with the increased loading on the Athlon 64's memory controller.

Correct, 3200XLs aren't made anymore, as the ICs used for them aren't made anymore. In the original thread the TwinX2048-3500LLs were not recommended to be mixed with them, just to replace them.

Hmmm... well I certainly appreciate the information. I'm glad I asked before I bought anything. But that sucks. If I bought the TwinX2048-3500LL would I be getting myself into a similar boat where I wouldn't be able to upgrade later down the road? Or are those much more willing to play nice with other memory?

Or am I basically hosed because of my mobo?

Hmmm... well I certainly appreciate the information. I'm glad I asked before I bought anything. But that sucks. If I bought the TwinX2048-3500LL would I be getting myself into a similar boat where I wouldn't be able to upgrade later down the road? Or are those much more willing to play nice with other memory?

The problem is not the memory per se, but your CPU's memory controller. You see, the Athlon 64's integrated memory controller is especially allergic to mixed modules. Such a memory controller requires all of your memory modules to exactly match each other in every single minute detail: IC chips used, SPD-programmed timings, even PCB revisions.

Or am I basically hosed because of my mobo?

Your mobo is only partly to blame, in this case. Also, depending on your CPU revision you may have to drop your memory speed to DDR333/PC2700 if you use four double-sided modules.

Archived