Corsair Community

PC2700 compatability ?

Keepcostdown

I am looking to purchase a used Corsair CMX512-2700C2 512MB DDR PC2700 XMS w/spreader stick of RAM. I currently have CORSAIR TWINX1024-2700LLPT in the system right now. This will give me a total of 1.5 MB. Are these two compatable? If not is there a PC2700 that is?

Also if I were to upgrade to 2GB of PC3200 would there be a huge performance gain or just a little nudge upward?

A7N8X-E Deluxe, AMD ATHLON XP 2600, AUDIGY, MAXTOR 80GB,

Thank You

I am looking to purchase a used Corsair CMX512-2700C2 512MB DDR PC2700 XMS w/spreader stick of RAM. I currently have CORSAIR TWINX1024-2700LLPT in the system right now. This will give me a total of 1.5 MB. Are these two compatable? If not is there a PC2700 that is?

Also if I were to upgrade to 2GB of PC3200 would there be a huge performance gain or just a little nudge upward?

A7N8X-E Deluxe, AMD ATHLON XP 2600, AUDIGY, MAXTOR 80GB,

Thank You

I would have to agree with the RAM GUY on this one. Also, PC3200 memory would not be an upgrade from PC2700 memory, as far as your specific CPU is concerned: With this platform, it is not recommended for you to run your memory at a higher actual clockspeed than your CPU's actual FSB speed without risking serious stability issues. (This means that since the actual FSB clockspeed of your CPU is 166MHz, you should not run your memory any faster than PC2700 speed unless you want to risk your system suffering numerous, repeated crashes and lock-ups.)

I had already started leaning toward not performing any upgrades to this computer and just running it until I am ready to build another one. To give you a little more background I have been having problems with certain programs running and crashing to desktop. One of the options was to add more RAM. Anyhow most of the time the issues revolve around gaming programs. After reading both of the replies I believe I should hold off on spending money and see if I can clean up the computer. Hopefully by shutting down some of the programs that are running in the background this will give me what I am looking for. Again thanks for taking the time to reply and helping with the decision.

Robert

Slots DIMM A1 and B1 are populated.

CPU EXT FREQ = 166MHZ

FREQ MULTIPLIER SETTINGS = AUTO

CPU FREQ MULTIPLIER = 12.5X (GRAYED OUT)

SYSTEM PERFORMANCE = OPTIMAL

CPU INTERFACE = OPTIMAL (GRAYED OUT)

MEMORY FREQUENCY = BY SPD

RESULTING FREQUENCY = 166MHZ (GRAYED OUT)

MEMORY TIMINGS = OPTIMAL (GRAYED OUT)

SDRAM ACTIVE PRECHARGE DELAY = 5 (GRAYED OUT)

SDRAM RAS TO CAS DELAY = 2 (GRAYED OUT)

SDRAM RAS PRECHARGE DELAY = 2 (GRRAYED OUT)

SDRAM CAS LATENCY = 2T (GRAYED OUT)

FSB SPEED SPECTRUM = DISABLED

AGP SPEAD SPECTRUM = DISABLED

CPU VCORE SETTING = AUTO

CPU VCORE = 1.650 (GRAYED OUT)

GRAPHICS APERATURE SIZE = 128MB

AGP FREQUENCY = AUTO

SYSTEM BIOS CACHEABLE = DISABLED

VIDEO RAM CACHEABLE = DISABLED

DDR REFERENCE VOLTAGE = 2.6V

AGP VDDQ VOLTAGE = 1.5V

AGP 8X SUPPORT = ENABLED

AGP FAST WRITE CAPABILITY = DISABLED

oops, didnt mean to scream that at you.

Is this what you are looking for?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees

The modules should be in slots 2-3 that match and the module that does not match should be in the first slot. closest to the CPU and I would try these settings since they dont match.

CPU EXT FREQ = 166MHZ

FREQ MULTIPLIER SETTINGS = AUTO

CPU FREQ MULTIPLIER = 12.5X (GRAYED OUT)

SYSTEM PERFORMANCE = User Define

CPU INTERFACE = OPTIMAL (GRAYED OUT)

MEMORY FREQUENCY = 100%

RESULTING FREQUENCY = 166MHZ

MEMORY TIMINGS = User Define/Manual

SDRAM ACTIVE PRECHARGE DELAY = 7

SDRAM RAS TO CAS DELAY = 3

SDRAM RAS PRECHARGE DELAY = 3

SDRAM CAS LATENCY = 2.5T

FSB SPEED SPECTRUM = DISABLED

AGP SPEAD SPECTRUM = DISABLED

CPU VCORE SETTING = AUTO

CPU VCORE = 1.650 (GRAYED OUT)

GRAPHICS APERATURE SIZE = 128MB

AGP FREQUENCY = AUTO

SYSTEM BIOS CACHEABLE = DISABLED

VIDEO RAM CACHEABLE = DISABLED

DDR REFERENCE VOLTAGE = 2.7V

AGP VDDQ VOLTAGE = 1.5V

AGP 8X SUPPORT = ENABLED

AGP FAST WRITE CAPABILITY = DISABLED

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org.

Correct, the two sticks are in the blue slots and the black slot closest to the CPU is vacant. I made the changes to the BIOS and downloaded memtest86+ ver. 1.65. On the first run the computer shut down. Shut down in this case means…lost video signal, all fans shut down and no response from the computer. However, the lights on the MB and on the front of the computer were illuminated. The computer would not respond to the reset button or on off switch. Cycling the power supply switch seemed to straighten out the computer. Booted the computer and tried to run memtest again. The second time the computer shut down again. Somewhere around test 7, Pass 71% Test 35%. That’s where it sits now.

Well tonight I get home and boot the PC straight into memtest. Three passes and no errors. Do not understand why it failed twice last night. Next couple of days I am going to play some guys online and see how the new settings work.

Again, Thanks for your time.

• 8 months later...

RamGuy,

Hopefully the thread will go back to the top and you will see this.

I am having a problem with my computer again that appears to be related to the ram. NOt sure at this point but I will give you what I have.

ASUS A7N8X with Corsair PC2700 Twinx1024, AMD Athlon 2600, Audigy 2 sound card, Sata Raid HDs and ATI Radeon 1950 AGP video card.

All of the sudden the computer started freezing for a few seconds and then it shuts down. Shut down being I lose the video signal and the hard drives shut down. The light on the front of the computer is still on. The LED on the MB is still on but everything else has shut down including the fans. To restart the computer I have to reset the power supply by turning it off and waiting for the LED on the MB to die out and then turn the power supply on. At that point the button on the front of the computer responds.

At first I am suspecting RAM. I have went back and insured the settings in the BIOS were like you told me before...and they are. I downloaded memetest33 and tried to run it. It ran partially through the first run and there was an error before the computer shutdown on its own. The error is as follows:

TST 6

Pass 0

Failing Address 00012b240c8 299.2MB

Good ffffffbf

Bad ffffffbe

ERR bits 00000001

Count Chan 1

I have insured they are seated properly. I have tried to run just one stick.

Any ideas on where I should go next with this situation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

Archived