Corsair Community

XMS PC5400 1gb (2x512mb) not booting.

Jasbris

I've built this computer myself and now it will not turn on. I've been running one stick of DDR2 XMS PC5400 512MB ram in my PC and its been great minus the small lag I get in BF2. So I decided to upgrade to another stick of the same ram and run in dual mode for more speed. However, now when I boot my PC it sits at the screen telling me I can press F2 for setup and showing me my system stats. Thats all it does. Goes no further, even if I press F2. any Ideas?

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure both modules are exactly the same part# and revision and then load setup/optimized defaults and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, XM2S5400C4 Cass 4-4-4-12 for example or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure.

Would the part and revision numbers be on the memorys physical body, or would I need to look on the packaging that I've misplaced? :)

Also, for setting up the rams timming and voltage settings, how do I do this when I cannot enter setup or boot the computer? Or are you suggesting botting up the PC again in single mode and then changing the settings in the BIOS?

Thanks

One more question. I checked the sticks of Ram and my original is CM2X512-5400 XMS540v1.1, where as my new stick is CM2X512-5400 XMS540v4.4 which is a different revision. Would this cause my problem? I guess my question is I've looked around and I haven't found any information on if ram revisions are compatible. I checked the MB's and my mobo is compatible with my Ram choice so I do I have fork out more money now for a current verison?

Jason.

well I took out the old one, and put the new one in. Now it won't boot, gets a step further and says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device". I'm going to put the old one back in and hope It works, I just hope this didn't hurt my computer.

Archived