Corsair Community

Bad RAM

gpgincool

Several months ago I purchased and installed a 1GB "ValueSelect" SO-DIMM stick of memory for my eMachines M6811 laptop. It worked fine for about 4 months until I traveled to Canada to make a phat business presentation...where it spit, nearly causing me to do the same. I'm hoping to confirm the diagnosis that the stick went from sweet to sour in the matter of a nanosecond or 2. Symptoms at failure: blue screen of death, followed by inability to re-boot in any mode (regular, SafeMode, etc), until stick is removed. Once removed, system will boot slowly off of resident 256k onboard memory. Adding back the old 512 MB memory that came with the laptop helps immensely, and laptop operates at same speed as when first purchased new. I've added and removed the Corsair 1GB stick a few times to prove to myself that it's failed....it causes the same symptoms each time Any doubt that it's not gone bad before I send it in for warranty replacement?

• Corsair Employees

You are welcome to get this module replaced but I would not suggest using this type of module with any system that has on board memory.

Let's get it replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Ram Guy:

Your response leaves me wondering: 1) Why not ok to use "module" with onboard memory? 2) Is your point only relevant to ValueSelect RAM module, or any Corsair module? 3) If it's relevant only to ValueSelect, should I try to upgrade to another Corsair product? I certainly don't want to have another failure in a few months, give or take......... Thanks in advance for your wise advice!

Ram Guy:

Hmmm...I guess I'm in a bit of a cross-fire now with your latest response. After using the configurator, it's recommending only a 512 MB stick. That's what came with the eMachines laptop, and I still have that good, original stick of memory. Also, the laptop only has one slot...but the configurator and eMachines both say it'lltake up to 1280 MB of memory. Since it came with 512 MB, there's no sense buying that. I realize you can't vouch for your retailers, but the 1 GB ValueSelect stick was gladly recommended and sold to me by BestB__ staff for the laptop those several months ago. If I replace the bad stick with another 1 GB stick, is it also likely to fail? Is there a way to tweak the laptop so the 1 GB stick can live a long, happy life? BTW, I promise to quit bugging you after this email.

• Corsair Employees
It's hard to answer that question, since you have the module and I doubt the reseller will let you send it back let's try replacing it and go from there. If it works that’s great but if it doesn’t I am not sure there is much we can do!

Archived