Corsair Community

A8V unable to fully use 4GB

pcguy

I have an Asus A8V MB with Athlon64 3500+ and 1GB of memory currently (VS512MB400) and as far as I can tell with this motherboard and Windows XP Pro SP4 will not be able to use 4GB if all the slots were fully populated with 4 new 1GB sticks of memory. At most XP may see 3.5-3.7GB of memory. What if Windows 2003 Server or Windows XP 64 was installed. Would they be able to make use of 4GB?

If 4GB under XP is not doable then using the existing VS512MB400 (1gb) I would like to bring the system up to 3GB (no use paying for an additional 1GB if Windows can not use it). What 2GB modules would be compatible with the existing 1GB VS? Are the VS1GBKIT333 or VS2GBKIT400C3?

What should the memory settings be currently for the VS512MB400 as well when I add the additional 2GB of hopefully dual channel memory.

:confused:

So installing another VS512MB400 (2x512MB) which will still give me the recommended 2GB is not recommended? Is this because of a decrease in speed of the 2nd pair ie none of the memory will be operating in Dual Channel mode?

What if one would remove the current memory and purchase 3 x VS1GB400C3 would that allow 3 GB operating in non dual channel mode? The computer is doing database processing which is memory rather than CPU bound and I need to try to get as much memory as possible and at the same time have XP recognize this amount.

So installing another VS512MB400 (2x512MB) which will still give me the recommended 2GB is not recommended? Is this because of a decrease in speed of the 2nd pair ie none of the memory will be operating in Dual Channel mode?

What if one would remove the current memory and purchase 3 x VS1GB400C3 would that allow 3 GB operating in non dual channel mode? The computer is doing database processing which is memory rather than CPU bound and I need to try to get as much memory as possible and at the same time have XP recognize this amount.

It's never recommended to use only three modules in any dual-channel system that has four DIMM slots. Many such systems will not even POST at all under such a circumstance.

In addition, filling four DIMM slots is not recommended, either, due to additional loading in the memory controller. (With such additional loading, your A8V motherboard will drop your memory clockspeed to only DDR200/PC1600/100MHz with four double-sided modules due to the limitations of the VIA chipset used on that motherboard.) What's more, the VS512MB400 modules that you buy today will likely be different from the VS512MB400 modules that you've originally bought: With the Value Select line, IC's and PCB's used are always subject to change - and such modules come to Corsair as pre-manufactured modules, not as individual IC and PCB components.

Archived