Corsair Community

Asus M2N

Yoyi

Hi.

I just finished building my system and installing windows/drivers on it yesterday at an ungodly hour and I have a few questions.

First the specs:

MB: Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE nForce 570 SLI (AM2) socket

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 Dual-Core Processor Socket AM2

RAM: Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400

PSU: GamerXStream 600W

Video: eVGA 256-P2-N584-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3

Problems I've been having:

1st:

I think my processor is running too hot, is at around 44-46 C just running windows. I cleaned up the original thermal pad with acetone and cleaned it up with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I used AS5 as directed on their instructions.

I don't know if I shuold remove the HSF and processor, clean them up and set them again. If I do this should I remove my motherboard from the case and set it outside or can I do it inside it.

If it keeps running hot should I just get a new HSF like the Zelmann??

The computer is going to be used mostly for gaming and running some 3d applications like MAYA, 3d studio max, Zbrush, lots of photoshop, etc. So I don't know how hot it will get under load.

2nd:

After hours of trying to install windows I figured out that I had forgotten the ram timings were on auto.

I set them to 4-4-4-12 2T and I thikn 550mhz. Now I don't know too much about ram but I've been doing some reading and I keep running across low numbers in those timings. I don't know if the ram I have will work well with tighter setting???

Any info you guys could give me on these would be much apreciated.

Thanks

-Yoyi

• Corsair Employees

1st:

I think my processor is running too hot, is at around 44-46 C just running windows. I cleaned up the original thermal pad with acetone and cleaned it up with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I used AS5 as directed on their instructions.

I don't know if I shuold remove the HSF and processor, clean them up and set them again. If I do this should I remove my motherboard from the case and set it outside or can I do it inside it.

If it keeps running hot should I just get a new HSF like the Zelmann??

44-46C isn't too hot. It's not exactly cool, but it shouldn't be that big a problem. More important than your idle temps are your load temps. If you can monitor the temperature while running something CPU intensive for about 20-30 minutes, you should get that load temp. Make sure you stress both cores, something like SuperPi and CPU Burn-In, leave them running for a bit, and then check the temp again. If it's over 60C, then you should worry.

If you want to overclock, you might want to get that Zalman or some other 3rd party heatsink and fan. Or better yet, our Nautilus 500 Watercooler! Heh.

2nd:

After hours of trying to install windows I figured out that I had forgotten the ram timings were on auto.

I set them to 4-4-4-12 2T and I thikn 550mhz. Now I don't know too much about ram but I've been doing some reading and I keep running across low numbers in those timings. I don't know if the ram I have will work well with tighter setting???

The RAM you bought, if it's 5400C4, will run at DDR2-675 @ 4-4-4-12 @ 1.9 Volts. Some boards will only do 667 if you don't overclock, so keep an eye on the settings.

• Corsair Employees
You can test the modules one at a time to make sure its not a weak module, but its not uncommon to have issues at 1t. I would wait for a few weeks to see if the next bios helps that if both modules pass one up!

Archived