Corsair Community

Bad stick of VS1GB400C3

theshep

First off, I have tested this before in Memtest, overnight, with no errors. I have also tested it with 2.9xV setting in the BIOS. Now, for a long time, I have been running my old 512 mb stick of Value Select in my computer for 4 months at least and NO bsod's. As soon as I stuck my 1gb stick in and tried the 2.9v setting, boom, bsod with the ubiquitous and vague "irlq_not_less_or_equal".

I think that after having this very same bsod every week when I have the 1gb stick in is sufficient enough reason to require an RMA. As I said, I have done the 2.9v test as well as Memtest, and I really wanted Memtest to find something.

But I've searched plenty for solutions to the "irql" problem and the solutions are so plentiful and there are so many variables that I have to consolidate the issue down to the single 1gb stick. I mean, first time in months I use it, and the first time I go to use my machine with the stick in there (loading Photoshop), the system crashes. I've used Photoshop plenty of times with the 512mb stick, no problem.

And being Value Select, there are clearly no timings to be set, and if there are, they are very difficult to find on the site and the forums, therefore, there should be a timings column on the ram page along with the model number and the other info that's there.

So, with my tests and misfortunes with this stick of RAM, I would like it replaced.

Thanks,

Steve

• Corsair Employees
If you are not getting errors in memtest that would suggest its not the memory. You are not mixing these modules are you? And when you changed the modules did you load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.7 Volts?

With the mixing of modules issue, I can't even do that period as my system will have a system failed memory test, so that's impossible.

I do load these chips at default specs. I just don't get how I can run my computer for months and months with NO errors with the 512 stick and as soon as I go with the 1 GB stick, I get bsod's. That should not happen. If my computer wanted to give me bsod's, it would have done so as well with the 512 stick. It doesn't make any sense.

Yes, I was just completely dumbfounded when I had zero errors with Memtest. I was like: "this could not be. This stick has to have errors somewhere..." But alas, no errors were to be shown. I mean, is there some kind of Windows setting I need to specify in order for it to read my 1gb stick properly? There's not a chance I'm going to reformat windows to get a single ram stick to work.

As I said as well, it's not like these bsod's happen everyday, but they were getting to be happening every other day before I gave up on it months ago and put my old 512 stick in (which is corsair as well). Then I try it, just to give it that chance, and bam, one photoshop loading session blows windows to an irql problem.

So in effect, this is my ram problem and the questions were answered first.

Thanks,

Steve.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them both replaced and see what happens. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived