Corsair Community

HELP: question about PAIRED Rambus DRAM

kipp

i cannot get my system to run POST or enter the BIOS. if i'm using Corsair Rambus DRAM (pc1066/800) in pairs and i'm currently using TWO of the FOUR DIMM slots with 256MB modules....and one of them fails, will this cause my problem? will bad RAM prevent my system from booting if they are matched pairs and only run in pairs? many thanks for your kind support! :):

there are 4 slots so i tried the other two slots...but still no POST/BIOS. anymore thoughts? Anyone?

does anyone know if one of the matched pair of rambus goes bad your system will not boot up?

YES. Rambus REQUIRES pairs, so if one stick gos bad, it will NOT boot.

Sorry for my ignorance...but this also means that the system will fail to run POST as well? I want to make sure its not my mobo or cpu. the memory is highly suspect at the moment. man thanks.

Also, when you boot with 2 DIMMs ( 1 pair ) are you using the dummy sticks? I can't recall but, I "THINK" you have to use a dummy stick in the empty slots on a RAMBUS MOBO. You can't just leave 2 slots empty.

Mike.

Indeed...the C-RIMMs (cummy sticks) are in place. I swapped all the sticks, active modules and the C-RIMMs and the system booted....???

i have been running memtest86+ v1.65 for an hour now...there have been 1857 errors, 946 in test 5 and 911 in test 7.

Is my RAM toast?

i have been running MEMTEST86 for an hour. there have been a total of 1857 errors. 946 errors in test 5 and 911 in test 7. Is my RAM faulty? the system has been stable for 3.5 years at the same settings. thanks.

Archived