Corsair Community

confused

merlin1969

im kinda confused and could do with some help especially as the place i got my new kit from doesnt seem interested in sorting it out

last week i decided to update my pc and bought a socket AM2 4600+ pus a MSI K9N Ultra motherboard along with 2gb of ram (VS2GBKIT533D2) and a GeForce 6200 TurboCache grafics card all from the same place and all from thier recomendations

i have stability issues and the pc will shut down without warnings .ive tried 3 psu's even up to 600watt which is in now but i supect after reading a thread on this forum (where i originally posted this ) that its a Ram compatability issue and that the ram should be running at 667mhz ? mines at 533mhz and i havnt the option to change it as far as i can see

i havnt run memtest yet as i havnt got a floppy disk handy (havnt used one in years) and i carnt burn it to cd cos it just shuts down on me if i try

have i been sold the wrong ram ? and instead of 533 should have been told to buy or recomended 667 instead ?

ive updated the bios on the motherboard to the newest version and its still as bad in fact i cant even find this board listed on your site as compatable which is kinda worrying considering the upgrade kit cost me over £400

• Corsair Employees
There should not be any problem with those modules and this MB, please try them one module at a time and see if you can update the bios. then load setup defaults and set the memory voltage to 2.0 Volts and see if that helps!

ok ill give that a bash and see .ive updated the bios to the newest one and the ram is set on 2 volts but im still having issues even going to yahoo.com kills the pc

ill try it 1 stick at a time and see what happens then and get back to you

many thanks for the quick reply

What do you mean by "going to yahoo.com kills the pc" the system turns off or just restarts?

yahoo and several other sites turn off the pc .no blue screen, no warning of any kind just immediatly off .as does trying to burn any kind of dvd or cd ....ive tried reformating and swopping dvd writer for another also tried 2 differnt programs for burning and also 2 image files and also tried 3 psu's all with the same result and the writer and sites were ok on my old set-up

there seems to be no pattern to the shut downs and my cpu temp dosent go much above 40 degrees if that and other programs like newsbin pro work ok as does winrar and par2 for example

i tried your advice of updating the bios and loading defaults along with trying 1 stick of ram at a time and i get the same results . the pc just shuts down but usually starts back up again if i press the on button though sometimes i have to pull the mains lead out before it will

Archived