Corsair Community

ECS Norce4-A939 problem

phantasmagoria

Hi,

I have an ECN NForce4-A939 based system which is about a year old. I previously used a 512MB stick of generic memory, and recently decided to upgrade this to 1GB so bought a 512MB stick of Value Select (VS512MB400).

Since installing the Value Select, I've had repeated crashes; Memtest86 reports that both modules are working fine individually, but gives me lots of errors when I try to use them together. The only thing I can think of is that as the Value Select is double-sided and the generic memory is single-sided, this is causing a conflict somewhere.

Does anyone have experience of this motherboard, and if so could you offer any help as to whether it's possible to use single and double-sided RAM simultaneously?

Many thanks in advance.

You're not just mixing single- and double-sided modules, you're mixing completely different IC chips altogether. It's the latter that's causing your problems.

So I can't use different brands of memory together? I've done so in a different system before and had no problems, and was under the impression that as long as the memory was compatible with my system, it would have no problems with other compatible memory.

I'm also wondering whether it matters which slot each module is in, and whether that makes any difference to whether the memory will work together or not?

So I can't use different brands of memory together? I've done so in a different system before and had no problems, and was under the impression that as long as the memory was compatible with my system, it would have no problems with other compatible memory.

I'm also wondering whether it matters which slot each module is in, and whether that makes any difference to whether the memory will work together or not?

Unfortunately, newer memory controllers are especially allergic to mixed anything. The memory controller on Athlon 64 CPU's, in particular, require that every single memory module to match each other EXACTLY - in every single way.

Archived