Corsair Community

TWINX2048-4400PRO - Best ASUS P4C800-E BIOS Settings?

Chance

TWINX/P4C800-E Folk: I recently purchased from Newegg a Corsair TWINX2048-4400PRO kit to replace my Corsair ValueSelect VS1GBKIT400 kits (4x512MB) - I keep my rig updated in PC Specs, but summary:

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E v2.0 / BIOS 1023

Processor: Intel Prescott 3.4e D0

Memory: Corsair TWINX2048-4400PRO (2x1GB) XMS4401v1.1 / Lot 0614288-1

Video: ATI X850XT PE 256MB AGP

Power: [O]CZ ModStream [O]CZ52012U 520W 12v

Air Cooled: CPU Cooler Master Hyper 6+ and 5x80mm Case Fans

My heaviest load test is running all at the same time SETI@home + Folding@home + Norton Scan on RAID1 + MPEG Video. The MPEG I threw in to just increase the test, but the first 3 are a nightly process on my rig.

Thanks to some appreciated input from specmike who has a similar setup, I made 2 BIOS tweaks and upgraded my PSU and CPU Cooler. This lowered my max load temps from 67C/152F to 54C/129F allowing me to up my CPU VCore to run the TWINX at the spec of FSB275 (previous I could only go to FSB269). Here are my BIOS v1023 settings:

Legacy USB Support – Disabled (Enabled default)

CPU Frequency – 275 (only due to new PSU/CPU Cooler)

CPU Lock Free – Enabled

DRAM Frequency - 400

AGP/PCI - 66/33

CPU VCore – 1.4875 (will test higher for > FSB275)

DDR Voltage – 2.85

AGP Voltage – 1.6 (eventually I'd like to consider oc'g my X850XT PE)

Performance mode - Standard

CPUID Max Value Limit - Disabled (default)

Hyper-Threading - Enabled (default)

DRAM CAS# Latency - 3

DRAM RAS# Precharge - 4

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 4

DRAM Precharge Delay - 8

DRAM Burst Length - 8 (specmike rec from 4)

PAT - Auto (specmike rec from Enabled)

DRAM Idle Timer - Infinite

DRAM Refresh Rate – 7.8 uSec

Graphic Adapter Priority – AGP/PCI

Graphic Aperture Size - 256MB

Spread Spectrum – Disabled (Enabled default)

ICH Delayed Transaction – Enabled (EDIT to POST - Disable?)

MPS Revision – 1.4

Quick Memory Questions:

1.) At FSB275 (or higher) MemTest86+ gives me inconsistent errors on Test #7 Random Number Sequence, but MemTest86 tests do not (so far) - should I worry?

2.) My TWINX is XMS4401v1.1 / Lot 0614288-1 - any reported problems with older lots?

3.) Do I have any play in tightening my CAS settings? If so, what's the best order to test?

4.) Does increasing my AGP voltage from 1.5 default help in stability and/or ability to overclock the video card (down the line).

5.) Any other BIOS tweaks I should consider?

Extra Credit:

6.) I'm really pleased with my CPU temps thanks to the Cooler Master and will try to go beyond FSB275 (3.855GHz) by testing increases in my CPU VCore - anyone have better air cooled settings? Suggested max VCore?

Thanks to all; I've remained a Corsair fan largely due to this forum. - Chance

OC EDIT to POST: I was able to overclock to FSB279 3.908GHz with CPU VCore 1.5125v AGP 1.6v - first set of max load tests are clean, but I need to run the full Futuremark tests etc. ADD: Acks... Battlefield 2 unstable; I'll keep trying to up VCore.

Ram Guy: Thanks for the note; Peformance Mode is already set to "Standard."

I will add that since my original post, MemTest86 (non + version) at FSB275 TWINX Memory Spec also gave me 1 error on Test #7 out of 5 passes. On MemTest86+, Test #7 seemed to have more frequent errors, but it wasn't at every pass. - Chance

Ram Guy: P4C800-E Performance Mode = Auto actually seems to give me slightly more Memtest-86 v3.2 Test #7 Random Number Sequence errors than "Standard" - 1-3 errors every pass. At Auto, PAT is Disabled vs. Enabled at "Standard." Outside of Test #7, Memtest-86 is clean and my system fully stable at 3.4e CPU VCore 1.4875 FSB275 (TWINX Spec):

1.) Any other BIOS adjustments (from posted) I should consider? Maybe dropping VCore and retesting?

2.) If Test #7 continues to be a problem at FSB275, is it best to RMA the TWINX? My TWINX is XMS4401v1.1 / Lot 0614288-1 (from Newegg) - is there a higher frequency of problems with this lot?

3.) I am not stable with 3.4e CPU VCore higher than 1.4875 and FSB279 (3.908GHz). FSB275 (3.85GHz) seems to be my limit - does this make sense with my PSU and CPU Air Cooler? I really thought I'd have more TWINX head room.

Thanks as always for your time and input. - Chance

EDIT to POST: CPU VCore 1.4875 (not 1.4375)

Ram Guy: The Memtest Test #7 errors go away???

I kept the 3.4e VCore at 1.4875 (not 1.4375 as originally posted in error) and as you suggested, I lowered FSB from 275 to 270 where Test #7 ran clean on 14 passes. Then, to my surprise, I reset to FSB275 and ran clean on 7 passes. I've not changed anything from what I've posted - is this unusual?

FSB275 is TWINX2048-4400PRO spec and I can let it all go if you think it's OK, but any of your thoughts on my config and further TWINX head room would be appreciated. Despite my appearing to hit the wall, I'll then do further OC discussion in the Enthusiasts Only forum, thanks. - Chance

p.s. I will note that I did -a lot- of FSB/VCore testing to settle on 1.4875.

Ram Guy: I will check out their site and that does make me feel better; the TWINX2048-4400PRO is definately giving me more head room than the original ValueSelect sticks as well as a lovely bling factor.

I should be able to get another year or so out of my P4C800-E as a gaming rig and then hand it down in the fam as a biz rig.

Thanks again. - Chance

• 3 weeks later...

Would I be lucky enough to run this same twinx2048-4400 Pro memory at FSB 267 on a DFI Lanparty Pro 875B Rev. B which is a Canterwood based intel board like the Asus P4C800-E. I am already stable running a 3.0 Ghz Prescott EO Stepping P4 @ 4.0 Ghz, yet I only have 2x512 MB and want to upgrade to 2x1024 MB. What do you guys think?

dja2k

dja2k: Wow - I'm jealous - that's a stock air cooled Intel 3.0GHz? What's the DDR of your current 2x512MB? One would think the TWINX2048-4400PRO could handle it, but a DFI owner or Ram Guy are likely the best folk to give input. - Chance

p.s. I'll note that on my P4C800-E I found that by upping the AGP VCore from 1.6 to 1.8 max and CPU VCore 1.4875 to 1.51 I was able to get my Intel Prescott 3.4e more stable from 3.85GHz to 3.908GHz (still testing) - but overall, it's still not as good of an OC that you're getting on your 3.0e. One of my big problems with the P4C800-E is the need for the CPU VCore Droop Mod where I'm weighing the bang for the buck.

Well the only reason its a good overclock is because its the new prescott EO stepping version. I have a Coolermaster Hyper 6 heatsink on it with Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. My temps are 39 C idle and 56 c max load. Case temp are 27 C idle and 36 C. max. The memory as I stated was not corsair but (O)CZ PC4200, DDR 533. I need a memory upgrade and no one has helped me. Not even people from (O)CZ helped me, they don't provide good technical support in helping me find memory for my board. Everyone tends to ignore me because I have an old board and chipset. They are all busy with their Core 2 Duo Conroe setups. I am ready to purchase the Corsair Twinx2048-4400 Pro as soon as I get word that it will do FSB 267 or at least FSB 250, in between those values is fine, all I need is 2048 of memory. I don't think my board likes samsung based chips because in the past, I tried a set of (G)skill a friend lent me, which were UCCC and couldn't even go above FSB 240. Hopefully I can get the Infineon CE-6 chips in the Twinx2048-4400 Pro to work fine. I mean it works on P4C800 boards and that board is kinda the same as the DFI LP 875B PRO.

dja2k

dja2k: Gotcha - let's see what input comes in - I'd like to think you'd work fine with the DDR550 and they're rated at 275MHz (I'm getting 277 right now). If you can't get that, both Newegg and Corsair have a very flexible RMA process.

My biggest reason for the recent upgrades to my P4 rig was to try to get another 6-12 months until DirectX 10 video cards come out to run on a decent Core 2 Duo ASUS rig. - Chance

Reasonable RMA @ Newegg, um sure, where? I pay 15% restocking fee for every return even though I am a frequent returning customer. Do you know of anyone who doesn't have a restocking fee for a refund if the product is not to the customer's liking?

dja2k

• Corsair Employees
The DFI 875 Based MB we tested topped out about 267 MHz no matter what memory we used. And at the time we tested most of the major makes MB's and found only certain versions of P4C800 and the P4C800-E would run at 275 MHz with a 2.4C CPU. Any CPU abouve 2.8 GHz from Intel has not over clocked much above 220MHz in our lab.

You saying not a p4 2.8 ghz and above hasn't gone above 220 FSB is a cpu overclocking wall right? I am running a 3.0ghz @ 4.0ghz right now, no errors. So with that memory twinx2048-4400 pro, I might get lucky and get FSB 267 right?

dja2k

• Corsair Employees
Yes when we tested this was when last year and the early cores would not over clock well. Some of the newer cores do over clock better. The point is if you have a 3.0 GHz CPU or higher you should check the core of the CPU you have to see if it’s able to reach the target Freq you are trying to reach. You have a nice Over clock if you got 4GHz out of a 3.0 GHz CPU and from what we have seen the majority of CPU's available to the general public of that speed grade will average about 220-230 MHz.

Well guys I got my twinx2048 4400 pro today and its running 1:1 at FSB 267. Ran 5 hours of memtest so far without any error. Memtest reads 3-3-3-8 as timings where I have timings by SPD in the bios. I thought they were suppose to run 3-4-4-8, but no errors at SPD timings though. The memory says 2.75 voltage where I only have in .10 increase (2.6-2.9), so I set them to 2.8 volts. Ran 1 hour error free so far on prime95. Will test more later.

dja2k

I know that the old ones didn't overclock well, but I have one of the new EO stepping versions. Those came out to be great overclockers.

dja2k

I'm assuming that you have a "30 capper"?

Hey Chance, sorry I missed your last PM. Been VERY busy. Great going on the OC so far! Have fun with it.

Mike.

you should be good to go , but if you over clock you will need ro set tne timings manually!

Actually I don't, they are running great at SPD timings. I have always been overclocked, you haven't really been reading my postings correctly.

dja2k

Archived