Corsair Community

Asus P5P800-SE and 4 sticks VS512MB400 in dual channel?

Marik123

Hi, I contact Asus for this question and they direct me to here since they got their information from corsair... Below are the original question and reponse from Asus... :sigh!:

==========================================================

Hi, I have a question about the DDR400 QVL for my P5P800-SE Motherboard. It seems like I cannot run 4 sticks of Corsair Value Select VS512MB400 at dual channel mode according to the user's manual for my motherboard.

However, the P5P800 and P5P800-VM both can use 4 sticks of Corsair Value Select VS512MB400 running at dual channel mode according to the DDR400 QVL list for both product. The P5P800-SE has same northbridge chipset except network controller and dual-core CPU capable compared to P5P800, so will a BIOS update allow me to run 4 sticks of Corsair Value Select VS512MB400 at dual channel mode? If not, can I use 2 stick of VS512MB400 and 2 stick that is dual channel capable when 4 DIMM's are installed? Will that work in dual channel, or I have to install 4 indentical RAM from same company, same model in order to run dual-channel at 4 sticks?

=========================================================

Check with Corsair at http://www.corsairmicro.com. We get our information about there RAM from them.

=========================================================

If I can't run 4 sticks of VS512MB400 at dual channel mode and stuck with single channel, is it better for me to get the XMS series instead? Like sell the 2x VS512MB400 and buy 2x 1GB XMS series?

Thanks

Marik

• Corsair Employees

If the MB will support 4 modules then you can run with 4, but I would suggest using 2-1.0 Gig modules for best performance with any MB as there is more loading on the memory controller and the MB may down clock the memory with it fully loaded.

I would suggest VS2GBKit400C3 for best performance and value!

Archived