Corsair Community

Looking for a GREAT motherboard

I'm looking into my next system to be built. I have an older Asus and have had them before... I am getting tired of them though. Whenever I have any trouble, questions or whatever I have to go everywhere but Asus for help. Recently, they had me update my bios to there latest beta which fried my cmos. They are sending me a new chip but had the balls to call me the next day and ask how I would like to pay for shipping charges. That didn't happen and I'm getting the chip.

Enough about my complaints... I am trying to find a fairly solid board that's up-to-date and should last a couple years with good performace still. I know... I'm not really asking for too much... :bigeyes:

Here are some specifics that I am currently parcial to but am very flexible at this point and open to variences.

Processors: Intel Core2 Duos (socket 775), AMD X2s and FXs (socket 939) and (possibly) AMD (socket AM2)

Chipsets: Preferably nVIDIA (570, 590)

Other interests: PCIe (for dual graphics processors, one day), SATA II, RAID 0+1

So what do you think...? Is there a board out there for me or am I dreaming? If you know something that is close or something that you like personally, please suggest it.

Thanks for your help and your thoughts...

• 2 weeks later...

So what do you think...? Is there a board out there for me or am I dreaming? If you know something that is close or something that you like personally, please suggest it.

Thanks for your help and your thoughts...

Well, if you are after more Overclocking potential than Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI ... (and it sounds like you are) ... then I would suggest a good hard look at DFI.

For the Intel chips they currently have "only" an Infinity series board, but they have anounced a 590 based board LINK

Beware, though, getting the most out of a DFI board requires high quality components AND A LOT OF HARD "TRIAL AND EROR" WORK!

If you are for this, check out DFI_Street

I think you will be very happy you did.

• 2 weeks later...

You are likely better off building a Conroe system at the moment, it will require a new board and here is a odd duck. ASRock is owned by ASUS, but they are a very different value oriented company this board is not jam packed with features, but it can run a modern processor using DDR or DDR2 and a AGP video card or PCI-E talk about some versatility

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

If that doe not blow your skirt up

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127235

ABIT has one of the Best BIOS interfaces going

Of course then you will need some Ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

A PCI-e Video card to your liking, a HDD (Seagate 7200.10 320 or a Raptor)

a couple of Optical drives a floppy, a CASE and a Modern quality PSU and you are set!

Archived